Thursday, October 17, 2013

Cassandra in Franconia





Cambridge in the fall.
People in practical footwear, fleeces.

On nights like tonight the air is sharp with the scent of leaf litter, and I think about my grandfather and how he loved to smoke his pipe while walking his collies on New England evenings like this. Little puffs of smoke from the pipe, big puffs of collie by his side.




For Reading: Cassandra at the Wedding by Dorothy Baker. Published in 1962. I've been on a big female writers of the 60's kick. There's a lot of very fast driving across great swaths of California highway in these books. And smoking and drinking and anxiety, which is not what we need right now, but it's what we WANT, goddamnit! See under Didion, JoanAdler, Renata.

For Anticipating: Donna Tartt's new book, The Goldfinch. Read the glowing NYT review here.

For Listening: this cover of Fleetwood Mac's Gypsy. Over and over again.

For Drinking: Redemption High-Rye Bourbon. We bought a bottle of this stuff on a whim at a random liquor store-cum-mechanic's in Gowanus after we moved all our stuff into storage in August, and it's unbelievable. It has the spiciness of rye and the sweet finish of bourbon. For a good cold-weather cocktail, I like mine on the rocks with a splash of sparkling apple cider and a twist of lemon.

For Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Himself: Robert Redford's new film, All Is Lost. Can't wait to see this.




Thank you for all the thoughtful comments on my last post. You are kindred spirits. And excellent book recommenders. Have a weekendly weekend!



iPhone pictures from a weekend trip to Franconia, New Hampshire. 

14 comments:

  1. These photos! I can't get over the last one. I've been swooning over it since you posted it on IG. I need to put New England in autumn on my places to see list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beauty, still waiting for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Redemption Rye is the favored whiskey in our house. Makes an awfully nice Old Fashioned too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to following your lead on the drink tonight. yum! that version of gypsy is sooooo pretty. and the HAIM cover of "hold me" is also gorgeous. love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that tree placard just kills me - so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've recently discovered your blog, and must admit that I'm a little bit smitten. Love your photos and your writing is rich and clean (a favourite combination of mine). Adore that floral doggy crown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are SO GOOD. I kinda want to ditch the old crap phone for a smart photo taking phone now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pup and leaves photo so much! And is that cozy room with the wood stove the new casa? Tour please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you jen! more pics of the place here: http://bigbangstudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/franconia.html

      Delete
  9. Aw...my grandpa smoked a pipe too. So much that he talked out of the side of his mouth even when he wasn't actually smoking one. Loved "The Little Friend" by Tartt so I'm excited about this new one!

    Lovely pics, recommends (especially da booze) and words.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love the story about your grandfather! just started the goldfinch and i'm hooked. i'll do a post about attending her reading last week. it was remarkable. xo.

      Delete
  10. lovely photos
    love the autumn colours, makes you feel cozy!

    xx

    http://www.adayinmywheels.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are breathtaking, thank you for sharing. I recently moved back to a part of Canada where the almost all of the tree's leaves change colours. I forgot how much I missed that part of fall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your very nice article, do not forget to read my articles also kata kata motivasi, kata kata cinta, kata kata bijak , kata kata galau, kata kata romantis, status fb lucu , and many other interesting articles on my blog that.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: