Monday, March 11, 2013

Block Shop Now Taking Pre-Orders




Bloggeurs! We're back in biznaz! Block Shop pre-orders for April 1st shipment are now available online:





FINALLY! What took so long, right? I'll tell you: all our scarves are hand-printed one at a time with hand-carved wooden blocks (as opposed to screen printing). Our process is incredibly involved and production is dependent on weather and materials, and, of course, unforeseeable events that make India so blessedly thrilling and frustrating; an anti-corruption protest in Jaipur might cripple highway travel for a few days, or a Hindu wedding might halt printing for a week. You just never know, and (as anyone doing business in India will tell you) it's challenging to plan for You Just Never Know.

Because we sold out of our entire inventory in less than a week when we first launched in December and demand remained high, Hopie and I thought it better to hold out on pre-orders until we developed a solid, sustainable business plan with our printers. The challenge was to scale up production while maintaining the integrity of our product, and that, my friends, is what we've done.  Both Hopie and I and our team in Bagru are thrilled about our plan moving forward, and that means more scarves for *ewe.* 




What we're most excited about: starting today, for every scarf Block Shop sells, we'll donate $2 to the Bagru community fund to get a mobile eye care clinic to come to the village. Lack of basic corrective eye care is one of the most fundamental health care problems in the community, and Vijendra came up with the idea immediately when we proposed a social project. We can't wait to visit in May and get things rolling!



Thank you for all your support. So many of you have helped spread the word –our Instagram hashtag #blockshoptextiles shows you wearing our scarves all over the world– and this week Daily Candy opened the floodgates (after some love from Tomboy Style, Miss Moss, DesignlovefestCity Sage, Design Crush, and others) and we are just blown away by the response. THANK YOU! In gratitude I give you this regal Bagru cow wearing a necklace. She says NAMASTAAAAY. 

So, spring pre-orders, here. Have a marvelous week!

20 comments:

  1. I ordered mine so hard when I saw they were back in stock - I've been kicking myself since christmas for being indecisive. So excited to receive it in April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meaghan! We are so excited that all the people who missed the opportunity in December are FINALLY able to swaddle in Block Shop this April! The scarves are so airy and lightweight they are just as ideal for spring as winter. I wear mine looped twice in winter and once, loosely, for warmer weather. Thanks for your support! xo

      Delete
  2. Yippeeeee!!! I too missed out when I couldn't decide in December, and have spent all this time making a decision. Except now that it's crunch time, I feel nervous again! They're all too pretty, darnit! You had mentioned a new pattern... any word on what colors, or when that will be available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And yes, new design- it will be the herringbone design we currently have in light indigo and papaya, but in two tones of grey.

      See the prototype on my Instagram here!

      Will be available April 1st and we'll send out an email when it's up on the shop.

      Delete
  3. So thrilled for all your success - I can't imagine anyone who deserves it more! Can't wait until I can snag one for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Trude dear! You've always been SO supportive! xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. I will be saving my allowance monies for one of these babies someday soon. I think you might convert me to scarf wearing yet.

    More importantly, HUUUUGE props to you ladies for getting this off the ground and rolling. You're an inspiration, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats again lily - this is so amazing, and you guys are so awesome, the attention and love is all deserved. :) xo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous and I totally just tried ordering one. However, paypal blocked me! Any chance that you will be able to ship out of the US? I have a non-US paypal account and shipping address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, I'm afraid we cannot process international orders this round. We are looking for wholesalers to work with, however, so if you have any shops you'd recommend in your city, please let me know! Again, so sorry to dash your hopes.

      Delete
  7. Oooh! I'm so happy you found my post about the scarves. I can not WAIT until it arrives. I love your blog! Thanks for the comment ;)

    xo - kristen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to intern at your shop in Bagru - so amazing!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. EK. You ladies are MINT and i love the scarves, well done!! I know exactly what it is like, i lived in Sri Lanka for a few months and it's very similar over there, i'm surprised anything gets done. Let me know when things are available outside the US, cannot wait to get my hands on a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Lily, everything looks so brilliantly inspiring!The colors and designs are fab, fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the kind words everyone! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep 'em coming, Lily - eventually I want one of each, eventually. Love that you've paired with the community to help fund a mobile eye care clinic, cheers to you and Hopie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just ordered by Arrows (coral). Can't wait.
    love you, miss you
    xoxnic

    ReplyDelete
  14. The particular eye continues to be called essentially the most intricate body organ within our body. It really is remarkable that one thing so little might have so many doing work elements. Although the fact that precisely how tough the work of delivering eyesight really is, perhaps it really is absolutely no ponder in the end.

    spectacles in jaipur

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: