Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Frost Country





Happy New Year, friends! I'm writing this from my studio after a few days in the north country, not far from Robert Frost's old place (a treat: listen to this old recording of Frost reading his famous poem "The Road Not Taken"). I went to high school in New Hampshire, and there's a little part of me that will always feel at home in the snow and white pines of New England. Until day five when my Scottish blood kicks in and I get dour and depressive and I'm like GET ME OUT OF HERE GIMME SOME SPF 50 LET'S GO TO THE DESERT.

Speaking of which, the desert land sold. WHOT?! I know. Someone bought it that's not me. Someone will say "I bought twenty acres of magical desert land in Joshua Tree for a steal and I'm going to park my trailer on it until I can afford to plop an off-the-grid prefab on it somewhere down the line" and that person is an asshole because that's what I WAS GOING TO DO. I teared up when I got the news first thing Christmas morning and P. had to console me (although truth be told I think he was even more crestfallen than I) by coaxing me out of bed with the promise of hot chocolate AND Bailey's AND whipped cream for breakfast.

Yes, we're heartbroken. But as P's Marine combat buddy used to say, "You can have everything in life, just not all at the same time." I've written that phrase a few times in posts over the years. It's a good reminder. We are so blessed in our lives, so grateful for what we have, and not owning some land in the desert is okay.

And so it's time to put my head down and get back to work, gear up for my thesis this spring and catch up on the mountain of Block Shop emails and international orders (you GUYS. We are just about sold out. In one week. THANK YOU from the bottom of my little corgyn heart! And if we still owe you an email or response please bear with us while little ole' Hopie and I get caught up. Thank you for your support and patience!) Maybe 2013 won't be the Year of Desert Land Buying, but it sure will be the Year of Starting a Sustainable Textile Business With My Kid-Sister, and that, friends, is about the most exciting thing I can possibly imagine.

So happy 2013 to all of you. You who have been such dear friends and supporters and crackling wits and kindred spirits, you who have followed bigBANG from Joshua Tree to Jaipur to Brooklyn and all the places in between.

Thank you. I raise my mug of spiked hot chocolate to you. xoxo

27 comments:

  1. Ah. We were also in the frozen north of NH last week. It was gorgeous with the picture perfect snowfall.

    Happy new year, Lily. It's gonna be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Would have been so marvelous to meet up! Hope your fam had a wonderful trip. Happy New Year, M! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Perfect perspective. You never know when the desert will come back to you, and your excitement will only be increased by being sure and ready. VERY excited about the textile business and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! So true. Thanks for the good perspective. Here's to Block Shop adventures in the mean time!

      Delete
  3. Happy new year! I am so sorry to hear that somebody else snatched the dreamland. There will be another possibility opening up, I am sure. One door closes and another opens, right?
    All the best, Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, sweet Kristina! Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Firstly, such beautiful pictures, and what a beautiful place. Secondly, I'm so sorry that your magic land was sold! But you'll find something, somewhere else. We always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Sarah. I like that you said "we." We will find something better indeed;)

      Delete
  5. Happy new year! I hope that there'll be a second run for Block Shop after your wild success - I was one of those confused canadians that misunderstood the "no international orders" business and missed my chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meaghan, we are working on a new batch as we speak; will be restocked in about 4 weeks. Thank you! xo

      Delete
  6. love love love that mug so much, and what very wonderful photos these are...

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2013 is going to be AWESOME and I look forward to following along with your adventures, whatsoever they may be. (It will certainly be elegant and sumptuous and durable and versatile, thanks to my new scarf. ;)) Happy new year, you two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in southern Maine, but visits to my Grandma's house in the NE Kingdom of Vermont required a drive through Franconia... such a wonderland. I miss New England so much sometimes, but Montana provided a sunny New Year's bike ride yesterday involving bald eagles, quails, horses, kestrels, a pileated woodpecker, and so many hawks. Can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for you, you're such an inspiration to me! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw, hell, lily; that makes me want to spike my hot chocolate like a football. but perhaps the land will have another owner because you're meant to be the captain of a pirate ship. this is what my bones tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lily, you're fantastic. Some day you will have a dream plot full of animals and friends. And a sweet and airy studio. And oodles of ferns.
    Thanks for sharing your words and photos and spirit with us, with me. You make me want to start a blog so that I can share in the magical kindred spiritness of your corner of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A couple years ago Mike and I found 80 acres of well-managed hard-wood forest here on the peninsula with the sweetest little log cabin on it (hand-scribed logs, dude), for sale by owner. We were still living in Duluth at the time, but wanting to move to the woods. This place was purrrrrr-fect. And we were gonna buy it, but then someone else did. EFF WORD!!

    But, you know, if we had ended up at that place, we wouldn't have ended up here on our little hobby farm. And I wouldn't have a hen-house full of pullets right now, and I wouldn't have just spent my evening making Lonza from our pig's very juicy loin (tmi?), and I wouldn't have a beautiful flower garden full of huge peony and poppy bushes that were planted years ago by the previous farmer, and other great things too. I would probably be freezing my ass off in a tiny, drafty, terribly romantic but really drafty in the winter log cabin.

    So...I guess, things turn out the way they turn out. And I'm really very OK with that. :) Hang in there sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One door closes, and so many more open. It will always be your Dreamland. The next adventure awaits.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. GOSH but you all are a sweet bunch. Thanks for the pep talk! WE WILL PERSEVERE! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joshua Tree will always be here for you, promise. And it misses you too while you traverse the big city. :) And it would be a lot harder to spend gorgeous winter nights and days up in a cabin like that, right? I'm super jealous right now. I've only been there in the summer. One of these years...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've been one of my biggest inspirations since I started my little blog. I really wish it had been me that had bought the desert land so that I could at least invite you and P to stay, but alas, it was not. (

    I'm looking forward to all your adventures this year - including Vietnam! (Hopefully sans bedbugs, lice, diarrhea, etc.)

    xo!
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally feel your pain re: losing the land. I'm so sorry. I recently spent a perfectly good Sunday in the fetal after getting the call that my dream condo - the one that I was WAITING to do a walk-through of...that's right, b/c right now, it's just a PILE of BRICKS in my favorite old historic building...and some asshole (that's right - anyone richer than you instantly becomes an asshole when you're in the market for a home) decided to plunk down cash for an apartment that DOESN'T EVEN EXIST YET. WHO DOES THAT. WHO. ASSHOLES, THAT'S WHO. OH, and would you believe it - we were out of Bailey's. :( GAH! Empathizing, Jungabunga

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these cozy photos! It makes my heart swell for a frosty getaway in the pines.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lily,

    Sorry to hear you were gazumped (not sure if you use that term in the US) But congratulations on your business taking off

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photos are gorgeous, btw.

    I'm sure that someday you'll find an even better piece of land, when the time is right. There's lots of magical desert space you've yet to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  20. my work retreat every other year is on a property where robert frost once had a cabin...but it's in vermont. so when i first saw the post title i somehow thought that's where you were. anyhoo now you're in vietnam, which is so cool. i hope you're having a blast and don't come away with some illness this time!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: