Monday, October 22, 2012

Good Light, Scented Geraniums



Behold the bouquet and boutonni√®res I made for my beloved cousin and her bridegroom on their wedding day. These weren't even finished at this point, but I never got another chance to shoot these babies so you'll just have to believe me that it was a heady bundle of verdurous LOVE. Have you ever smelled blooming acacia? It will change your life (it did mine). And do you know that silver dollar eucalyptus makes the faintest brushed-taffeta sound as it rustles? Also: old-fashioned English roses, lavender, rosemary, sea holly, silver brunia berzelia, and horse-muzzle-soft scented geranium leaves the size of kittens. Botanical opulence! Esoteric fleurs! 18th-century herbalism! Literary nosegays!

HOWEVER. There may or may not have been a waver of first-timer's confidence when it occurred to me that I had amassed (possibly) the floral ingredients for an under-the-sea-themed prom as hosted by a high school Shakespeare society, or, (better? worse?) a Renaissance faire for mermaids. But confidence was quickly restored with the addition of madcap black scabiosa, petticoated David Austin roses in conch-shell-blush, and heaps of devastatingly lacy Queen Anne's lace. OH! And fruiting olive branches from California, the home state of our beloved cousinly bride. PHEW.

Holding the half-finished bouquet is my other beloved cousin (cashmere cable-knit; we are some classy bitches even in the throes of wedding floralling), with whom I so exuberantly floralled. There is so much more to share. I promise you more flower pictures (with a real camera! Imagine!) this week.

In other news, Free People paid me a studio visit a few weeks ago, and you can read the interview up on the BLDG 25 blog, here. I probably made a bumbling ass of myself but my new paintings look effing excellent in that northern light thanks to lovely Julia, and really, that's all I ever ask. In fact, I'm going to add a proviso to the bottom of any contract I sign from here on out that says:

CONDITION OF TERMS:
a) good natural light on paintings; b) scented geraniums in the bride's bouquet 

Ok, back to work everybody, but not before I polish off these exquisite Marcona almonds.

Hope you had a good weekend. 

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview and yet another delightful glimpse into your studio! Gorgeous bouquets... I absolutely love and collect (hoard??) scented geraniums... so many varieties & amazing history behind them being cultivated going back to the Victorian era & tussie mussies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woman, your flowers are boss. weird how a few strategically-placed roses can restore a n00b florist's confidence in her spectacle, innit? i had the same experience at my lady's california wedding this weekend. i mean, i think i did; i haven't slept much, so i can't yet tell you with confidence if this is all a dream and/or the universe in which i began the day. NAPTIME FOR FLORISTS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty lady...scented geraniums are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heyyy congrats on the showcase! that's totally awesome! :) (can i mention, though, how crazy jealous i am of that view from your studio!? gah!)

    these flowers are delicious. there is possibly no other word for them. the combination of texture/colour/form is just INCREDIBLE. if i ever get married (or need a huge amount of floral bouquets) you are going to have to either be my florist, or give me some amazing floral advice. LOVE. <3

    ps. i cannot wait for your scarf line! i'm practically dying over here, waiting. (hmm, dying or dyeing? ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. growing some geraniums in the apartment...lemon scented and something else. they are true happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out so beautifully, Lils!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could I pay you to just come and describe flowers to me all day? You're a woman of so many talents! Now excuse me while I go devour that interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want to buy one of your scarves so bad. ah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful combination of colours! truly lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw these 2 beautiful bouquets on Instagram and it made me check out your blog... I love how you use Australian natives in unexpected combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With that lovely color scheme and awesome choices it could never read high school! P.S. I would like your studio's view. Kthxbai. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. the world's luckiest cousin/bride, c'est moi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your posts, you classy bitch. i think these arrangements are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You weren't kidding! Those pictures of your paintings are jawdroppingly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the post hgh

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your description of the flowers made me feel like I was reading a book that I wouldn't normally read but end up really enjoying. And I think a mermaid prom is for the better. Also, congrats and great interview on the Free People blog! It made me take a second look at your website and reading your bio I got all flustered about the part where you traveled across eastern Mongolia on horseback!?! Do you have any works from that time up anywhere? My mansy and I recently friended some Mongolian kids who are moving back there in May and our interest in the culture(s) and land and history has been sparked in a "ohmygod we need to go visit when our friends move back or like right now" sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A Renaissance faire for mermaids? I'm totally in.

    Gorgeous floral creations and a great interview, Lily! I have to admit I'm a teensy bit enamored with your artist's life.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the interview Lily. I was fascinated to hear how important your online connections have been. The paintings are alive with color (and music), a joy really. And I see you have that fabulous Hockney book right there on your desk. Don't you love his Iceland watercolors? I could just eat them all up.Am I a glutton for color? haha. Looking forward to all the things you will be creating in your lovely studio;-) Have lots of flower fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha! You are indeed a classy bitch, and certainly one that makes me laugh. Also, not to be distracted from your very excellent paintings, but lady, that *scarf*!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like to collect scented geraniums. Your description of flower is so captivating. xoxo
    ~ Herman Swan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love doing wedding flowers. You did such an amazing job. Aren't boutineers the most fun? There's so much you could do with them.

    I have a ton of scented geraniums. They do really well in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: