Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hey New Yorkers!

{Reading & Book Signing with Maggie Shipstead Tomorrow}





So the Iceland and Paris recs are BEYOND unbelievable. P. and I are so excited we stayed up late researching every single morsel you wrote about in your deliciously specific comments (the fact that so many of you gave book recommendations kills me. I love you). In humble eternal interwebby gratitude, I have three prezzies for you: 

1. Maggie Shipstead is reading from her New York Times best-selling social satire Seating Arrangements at Barnes & Noble on the Upper East Side tomorrow (Friday) at 7pm. I will be there with bells on, and/or a comely homemade giant papier mâché lobster costume. YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY COME. I'll bring my flask and we can throw back a nip of whiskey in the public bathroom. It'll be a blast (and probably packed; come early!) More info here.

2. My sister and I have been working on a Big Textile Project for the past year (subtle hints in this old post), and she's in Rajasthan right now making me deliriously jealous with her Instagram pictures of our latest efforts. @hstockman is her Insta-handle. Cheggitout.

3. Woody Guthrie would have been one hundred years old this July 14th, and NPR has put together a truly fantastic playlist in his honor. A little backstory: P. and I happened upon an incredible, incredibly random archive of Guthrie songs when we hosted a jug band musician from Austin in Jaipur. His house present to us was an obscure collection of old Guthrie recordings, and we were HOOKED. I'd always loved his songs and influence, but listening to such deeply American music while living so far away from home converted me into a truly devoted Guthriean. I can't hear Pretty Boy Floyd without associating it with hot Rajasthani evenings and cold Kingfishers. If you need a Guthrie album rec, try the Library of Congress Recordings, replete with amusing anecdotes, interviews, and kitchen table recordings from 1940. My favorite cover album is Billy Bragg's remarkable Mermaid Avenue with Wilco, which, if you don't own already, is a summer staple. Enjoy!

Pictures above from the Week of Ashes in Montana. Back to work, but hope to see some of you Friday!

19 comments:

  1. if you need a spare lobster costume, you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. CAN YOU COME AND WEAR THAT?! YOU HAVE TO COME AND WEAR THAT. You are Smaggletoof are destined to be besties. Wait until you see her GOLDEN SQUID RING.

      Delete
    2. a tentacular spectacular? this must be.

      Delete
  2. those triangle patterned textile photos are how I first discovered bigBANG! Can't WAIT to see what you and your sis have been working on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mermaid Hotel! I'd forgotten about that song. How have I made it halfway through summer without it? Hrrrrumph.

    This is also just a note to say I went into my favourite local bookstore yesterday to order a copy. I'm so excited. Neil (a friend who works there) is going to get his ear talked off about this until he orders more for the shop. Sorry Neil.

    Also, a Paris rec, because I was slow yesterday: L'Aromatik in the 9th, especially for brunch or prix-fixe, or this weird little bistro that serves Croque Rabelasian tucked into a corner facing the river, right by the Opera. Not sure on the name, might be Café Gargantua (Francois Rabelais fans, anyone?). Wonderful people watching - seriously, this is the French hipster/beatnik set mingling with old neighbourhood regulars. Plus it's got really, really good cheap (student-cheap) food, nice nooks to read in or eat alone at, and cute waiters who don't mind when your French is slow. Hands down my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I JUST PRINTED OUT YOUR COMMENT. Amazing, all of it. Thank you! (And Maggie says thank you for buying her book. She totally owes me a footnote in the paperback edition, "And thanks to Lily Stockman for pushing my book like a new street drug.")

      COME TO THE READING TOMORROW!!!!

      Delete
    2. wait, i just assumed that you're in new york for some reason. are you in new york?

      Delete
  4. i saw your sister's shots on instagram today (but decided not to be nosy + follow her, justincase), but now i'm totally adding her! :) also, can we talk about how FREAKING AMAZING your textiles will be, lady!? i just know it with all of my heart. i can't wait to see them for really real! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Aren't her pics to die for? Siiiigh. And re. nosiness- there's no such thing. The way I see it, if ppl put stuff out on the internet, it's fair game. But you're really sweet to be so considerate. So, Polaroid Dreamer, meet Hopie. Hopie, meet Polaroid Dreamer!

      Delete
  5. so much that's exciting! 1) finished maggie's book last week. so. good. 2) sister projects are the best kind 3) woody and pete and all those boys, forever. and ever. the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun at the book signing tomorrow! I'll definitely be picking her book up soon, I'm in need of a light read. Mermaid Avenue is the best! My partner and I used to listen to those c.ds all the time during the summer, I think its time to bring them back into rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally reading Seating Arrangements, on your recommendation, and LOVING IT.

    Also, very, very excited for textiles. VERY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i reaaaallly love "remember the mountain bed" from mermaid ave volume 2. SO GOOD!

    i checked out your sisters pics and they are AMAZING! talented family for real!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our old hound dog Woody, may he rest in peace, was named after THE Woody, may he also rest in peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would so love to be there, but a dinner party stops me from going to Maggie's reading! : (((
    Another time I'll catch her! What a great book! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This place list is AMAZING! and sign me up for some of these textiles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. look at that place. Girl, you are lucky. Or, really good at making the most of the life you have. I think we could all learn something from the way you face life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just read this delightful and insightful piece in The New York Times this morning, and saw it was by your writer friend! Now I MUST read her book! Link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/19/opinion/the-wedding-effect.html?_r=1&smid=FB-nytimes&WT.mc_id=OP-E-FB-SM-LIN-TWE-071912-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: