Thursday, July 26, 2012

Corn Cribs, Bribes

{And Swimming Corgyn}







I went home a few weeks ago to help bring in the hay and bribed my exhausted, sunburnt, behaydusted dad into an after-dark trip down the valley to the dream farm. It went like this:

Me: Pops, I know you've been on a tractor for twelve hours but can we pleeeeease go on a little drive out to Amwell to go see that abandoned farm mom and I were talking about? 

Dad: Eugggggh [creaks in the knees and collapses into chair. Immediately consumed by writhing mass of corgyn] I'm kind of pooped Lil. Do we HAVE to go RIGHT NOW?

Me: Without a doubt. I have to go back to the city tomorrow first thing so this is our only chance, ever, to share this wonderful spontaneous activity together as father and grown daughter. We should capitalize on this opportunity. 

Dad: You girls are so bossy. Ok, fine, well here are my stipulations. 1. You're driving. 2. We're stopping at Cream King on the way home and I'm getting a black-and-white twist with that chocolate dip thing.  

--

So I went back to check out the dream farm, this time with Papa Stockman in tow. He was mildly impressed by the barns. He was not impressed by the house ("this old dump?"). Also, I neglected to mention earlier that there is a CORN CRIB. A couple things I've been saying all these years is "why can't I set off my fireworks here" and "one day I will have a corn crib." Regarding item number two, well, mark my words. I will have a corn crib goddammit, and there is nothing you can do to stop me. I'll make it into a lil' guest bedroom, just lika zis.

While we perpetuate our delusions and dream about fantasy corn cribs let's listen to this beautiful, perfect, just-what-we-wanted Lia Ices song, sent along by my beloved cousin who just always KNOWS. (Thanks, darling! How do you always just know?) Happy Thursday, kittens. Let's make it count. 

23 comments:

  1. HILARIOUS! your dad sounds like the absolute best (um, twisty soft-serve ice cream?! DIPPED?!!? can i steal him?)...! i'm forever dragging people around (or stopping them abruptly) to get an awesome shot (or a few)...so glad to know i'm not the only one doing that, haha. i've never thought of including my papa and making it a father/daughter bonding session until now, though - totally stealing that idea! :)

    also, the next time you feel like heading home, please leave a little room in your suitcase for me to squeeze into...? it looks HEAVENLY there. <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what a corn crib is, but if you get a dream farm, I will happily be flying over in the summer to run rampant on your land and live in your modified corn crib.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. seems like you have the most irrestible ways to convince other's. maybe I'll borrow your quote as a secret weapon, one day. besides that, of course you are going to have that corn crib. since following your blog, I kinda of knew it. enjoy your thursday and celebrate some more corn crib dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do we know anymore about the dream farm? Or is it still a mystery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still kind of a mystery...we know more of its history but not the owners...more info to come!

      Delete
    2. I fantasize that NOBODY owns it and the city/county (whoever) says it's been an eyesore (to them cuz they have no vision) and just hand it over!! Are there any neighbors? Places to poke around get the scoop?

      Delete
  5. Oh good lord, that "shack" is ridiculously awesome. Yes, please. And I would like to order a swimming corgi for myself, as well. :) So cute! Big props to you for having any energy left after bringing in the hay. I did that once at my cousin's farm in Maine. OOFDAH.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was the morning to end all mornings, oh wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos almost make me want to move back to New Jersey. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Corn crib? All I can think is Children of the Corn. Anyhoo, did you ever find out who owned the place, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, yes and no. There's some discrepancy in the tax records but we found out more history about it but not the owner....more info to come!

      Delete
  9. I have no clue what your beloved corn crib is...?but I love The Shack!xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know what a corn crib was before this post. Now I know I need one. Pretty much an awesome treehouse, minus the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahahaha. Dads. Gotta love dads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You NEED that farm! Haystack dreams and room to roam, mentally as well as physically. Ohh, and that whole being close to your family and sense of place thing going on. My bribes to my Dad were always a chocolate shake, handmade at our local Sparky's drive in, and for my Mom, a root beer float with real scooped ice cream... thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw man, that makes me miss my dad. Looks so dreamy, especially with aquatic corgis :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in completed accordance with your Pops' stipulations.

    Can't wait for you to move into that farm already and of course make the corn crib haven getaway!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. swimming corgyn photos just packed their bags and moved into my dreams. So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks to you and your cousin for sharing that lovely song!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How could I ever loose a post about a swimming Biscuit. I must have been living under a rock. Lilly, really, if you'll buy that farm, you'll be officially living out ALL my dreams. Please buy it. There is a dream farm next to my little old cottage, it's completely abandoned and it's GIGANTIC. My dream farm, surrounded by peach trees. I'll show you pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every picture on your blog is like a chocolate sundae for my eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: