Monday, June 4, 2012

Twitter! Ferns!

{Fern Hunting at Gowanus Nursery}






Happy Queen's Diamond Jubilee! We all know I'm thrilled about all this corgi coverage. Two things:

1. It seems Twitter isn't going away, so I finally threw my hands in the air and joined the fray. I know, only like three years late to the party, whee! But I promise pithy asides and heaps of faux-filtered Instagram pictures of studio updates, book covers, illustrated plant identification, and Brooklyn vernacular architecture. It'll be fun. Come hang out and we'll tweet back and forth like the melodious songbirds that we are. @LilyStockman 

2. Which brings me to my next point. Some people hunt pheasants. Others, geodes. P.'s Ukrainian college roommate drops everything after a big rain and goes mushroom hunting. Well I'm the NPR-listening, in-bed-by-eleven version of a bloodthirsty big-game hunter when it comes to *ferns.* And my inner 19th century lady-botanist goes positively ape-sh*t over the obscure fern selection at Gowanus Nursery, a ramshackle kingdom of flora secreted away among the industrial badlands of the Columbia Street waterfront district. The women who run the place are encyclopedias of knowledge, the prices are a steal even by grad student standards, and the plant selection is enough to keep certain inspired bloggers up at night researching Gertrude Jekyll. I highly recommend getting on your bike, stuffing a crisp twenty in your back pocket, and heading there AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. And tweet me if they have any specimens to appease my Pteridomania. Deal? Deal. 

15 comments:

  1. I, too, am a sucker for ferns. I have several staghorns.

    YAY for Lily on Twitter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you can keep your staggies outside during most of the year blows my mind. It's hard to keep them happy in this climate- I killed one over a period of six months in my studio, probably due to the dry, terrible air and heat blowers all winter. But the biggun in our apt seems to be pretty happy- it's nearly three feet deep now and sprouting two babies.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha the imagery invoked by your "NPR-listening big-game hunter" description made me laugh! Once I'm in one place long enough, I can't wait to revisit all of your plant-focused posts and start my own collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q: what kind of plants did you see in Antarctica? Lichens? Mosses? Oh please do tell!

      Delete
    2. In McMurdo, the only plant I ever saw was mold in the bathrooms or food waste haha! Which was always pretty exciting. Other than that, it is cold and dry enough that I never came across anything. On the Peninsula, I hear it's a different story.

      Delete
  3. Oh god. This means I'm going to have to give in, I guess, if only to see your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah! Where to start? First, I surrendered to twitter recently too - and I'll admit it has been less painful than I imagined. Second, I follow a lot of blogs, but it's rare that any expand my vocab - Pteridomania / Fern-Fever. Whaat? My fever for the fern is only surpassed by my keen ability to kill them as houseplants. I am still mourning the loss of a particularly fair and stunning maidenhair, but I am thankful for the survival of a hearty button fern and plan to make up for my black thumb for indoor plants by turning over a shady patch of grass in the backyard to a shade garden with lots of ferns. Just spent an afternoon at my own fern-laded garden center recently, plotting what will go in the ground once I've prepared the soil. Third, thanks for giving me yet another place to visit when I am in the city where I lust after everything, get ready to pull out that crisp twenty then realize - shit. I have to fly home tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, GOOD! i am so much better on twitter than on a blog or in a comments section. also, maybe you can help me? my staghorn fern didn't weather my recent sublet very well, but i think there's hope for reviving it! tell me what to do and i will do it. please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo looks like fun! If only I could keep more than succulents alive...(aka if only I could be bothered to check what kind of watering plants actually need). I'll get there. I've only just conquered cooking! for! fun! ;) I was at the Getty this weekend, and they just reopened their giant circular garden. Soooo gorgeous. Can't wait to get my film developed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for twitter. see you on there @BrigittaR

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a bad twitterer (and a bad blogger, and very, very bad at Facebook) but I'm glad you're there.
    I love plants but I can't keep many. I live with Susanna, the world famous plant-destroyer. She hates plants. She pees on them, rip the leaves, or have a blast by taking it all out of the vase. She's also the world tiniest cat, but I'm actually glad she didn't grow a big one. Probably I wouldn't have a house anymore.
    You have wonderful readers. I'm taking myself off the list of course, but who follows you always have great advices on books. And I'm always on the hunt.
    Off to twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i wish that place existed in toronto! it looks amazing! i also love ferns. they remind me of dense forests and places beside rivers where i grew up. it was also my grandma's name and if i ever had a baby girl it would be her name too. i just followed you on twitter (i'm @tansyandfern <<--see! seriously like ferns) and looking forward to following your 140 characters or less.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks amazing!I love ferns!They are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: