Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Jennifer Egan's "Black Box"

{Plus A Weekend Still Life}



Remember Dog vs. Goon Squad? My Twitter analogy is now an actuality: Pulitzer Prize-winner Jennifer Egan has me absolutely riveted to the thriller serial she's writing for the New Yorker, one 140-character tweet at a time. Yup. A Twitter thriller. I was skeptical too, but just trust me on this one. It's so good.

Read "Black Box" updates on the New Yorker's website here.

Also highly satisfying: deeply-discounted Mast Brothers Chocolate and five pounds of organic fragrant red Dacca bananas from a trip to the local food coop. Sha-zam. Hope you had a good Memorial Day Weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, those bananas look interesting. I don't think I've had them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're completely unremarkable to South Asians, but boy are they a treat when they occasionally show up in US markets. The standard Cavendish bananas we usually see were hybridized to be a good shipping banana (picked when green and ripened with ethylene gas), so they tend to dominate the market, but their little red cousins actually TASTE like something even though they don't have a long shelf life. Highly recommend!

      Delete
  2. yummm. i just got some dark chocolate w/sea salt on sale myself! (though not mast bros, sadly.)

    also. twitter thriller?! that might actually be worth checking out...hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mast Bros is delish, don't get my wrong, but usually it's a whopping $8 a bar. EIGHT DOLLARS A BAR OF CHOCOLATE. That's just plain silly. But I got these for a steal at the Park Slope Food Coop, so I couldn't turn them down;)

      Re. Black Box: DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. And report back when you finish reading!

      Delete
  3. Just read the first chapter and I can already tell...k, gotta read the rest!!

    Also, if I happen to see some red bananas anywhere I'll be picking those up right quick.

    And I seriously love dark chocolate and sea salt - who was the person that invented that? I'd love to hug them.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so interesting!! Love your posts Lily ... so unique and true to you. Bisous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading Black Box. I had no idea it was a twitter thriller!

    Also glad to have found your blog - you crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is very well written and I appreciate your efforts.. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: