Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Paxton Gate

{In Which We Covet Unicorns, Succulents, Taxidermy & Rare Books}





Questionnaire:

1. Do you get excited by words like epiphyte and bromeliad?
2. Have you ever considered wallpapering your bedroom entirely in Ernst Haeckel prints?
3. Are you amused by taxidermic dormice dressed up in miniature Victorian garb?
4. Is there always more room in your house/apartment/Scamp for more succulents?
5. If you had four grand to spend on such a thing would you hang that unicorn on your mantle?
6. Are you the Hovey sisters?

If you answered yes to any of the above you probs need to get your carcass over to Paxton Gate in the Mission sometime soon. Over the years my sis has given me a number of marvelous late-19th century books on botanical specimens from their wonderful library, and I can't even begin to describe their jewel-like greenhouse and exquisite garden without breaking out into song. The place is a Wardian case of natural wonders. Hopie walked out with a giant maidenhair fern and I would have walked out with a ten-pound hunk of enormous pink barnacles if only I had possessed the foresight to leave more room in my carry-on for the potential acquisition of arthropods. 

19 comments:

  1. This place looks magical. Next time I'm up in SF I have to stop in. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the mention! We love your beautiful photos, here and throughout your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an amazing place! jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! that list is hilarious! i know you didn't take too many photos in the shop (because your eyes were too busy lookin at stuff!), but from the shots you've posted, i'm pretty sure that's my dream house. (yes, house.) i must make my way there, if only just to snuggle that amazing unicorn of amazingness. <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, of course. I hope you spent some time in the Pirate store on Valencia too. Another gem. Oh and Viracocha, so long as you're in the hood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who doesn't get excited by epiphyte and bromeliad? That's what I want to know. Well, it's probably because one of my dreams is to be a Victorian-era botanist.

    Great photos!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I must visit this place next time I am in SF. magical. I have been dreaming of staghorn ferns lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your quiz and photos of this magical shop of curiosities are amazing....the succulents! The unicorn! I can only imagine they must sell wands and brooms as well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this place!!!! I take everyone here who visits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love. this. store.



    my rose thorn wedding earrings came from one of their jewelry designers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to go to that store at some point! So dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this store, next to egger's reading place, right? on Valencia?

    ReplyDelete
  13. um, the taxidermy-ed horse head is CREEPIN ME OUT, DUDE!!!! but besides that, can i live in this store? they won't even know i'm there i'll be real quiet i swear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That place is glorious! I live in a tiny apartment where I already trip over the two chairs at the dining table, but a unicorn? Absolutely I have room. I could probably just get rid of the fridge or something...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great place!!!I love it!!The horse is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that place! It makes me want to study mushrooms, like in depth.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: