Monday, March 12, 2012

Mount Tam With Hopie

{In Which We Reclaim Our Sanity in the Redwoods}
















Greetings from San Francisco, the best place on earth for Catching Up on Sisterly Hijinks. Seriously, we should all pack up our Scamps and head straight to SF (although Scampers beware; the actual towing and parking of a Scamp on the vertiginous streets of San Francisco is another matter). I love you Brooklyn, but you don't have redwoods, Four Barrel Coffee, sidewalk succulent gardens, Tomales Bay oysters or, most importantly, my sister Hopie. 

Let's back up a sec. The past two weeks have been pure crazytown with a show opening, a few all-nighters (low point: sleeping under my desk on a pile of Belgian linen), a quick trip to Florida for a wedding, an MFA program fundraiser, and a slew of meetings, studio visits, critiques and one sleep-deprived, over-caffeinated verbal explosion directed at a drunk frat boy who picked the wrong Xena Warrior Princess to harass on the 2nd Ave subway station. Homeboi got SERVED. So praise Krishna that NYU's spring break rolled around just in time; on Friday I boarded a plane to SF to spend some much-needed time with my sister Hopie, who promised the following in an email:

"...we shall share in general merriment over fresh, seasonal, locally-sourced, sustainable, farm-to-table, vintage, solar-powered, socially-minded, childhood-obesity-fighting, community-building, TED-talked, fixie-riding, DIY'd, handmade, microfinanced, hanging-succulented, San Franciscan foodstuffs."

And how can you say no to THAT.

Pictures above from our sick-nasty Land Before Time seven mile hike on Mount Tam (route here; can't recommend this hike highly enough). Highlights included a carpet of fetid adder's tongue (in the lily family, high five!), pink shocks of calypso orchids scattered like confetti over the mossy understory, and a drumlin of early lupines so profuse, so dewy, Hopie and I had to sigh and exclaim and invoke the spirit of Miss Rumphius. (Self-portrait taken in Bootjack Trailhead public bathroom, because I just couldn't resist all that red.) Expect SF posts for the rest of the weekone of which may or may not feature a palomino unicorn. xo.

28 comments:

  1. Craziness aside, I'm jealous. I could use a foggy forest right now. As always, dreamy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got a little break, Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I miss the forests of the west coast!! I grew up in DC but lived in SF for six years and the best New Year's was spent hiking through Muir woods...now I'm back in DC, damn 3rd growth woods (I mean really I love them but I miss the big ass trees) and Four Barrel! YAY! My friend roasts for them now. Have fun and more pictures please so I can live vicariously through them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're in my neck of the woods! literally, the redwoods are my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, and general sister-loving... plus traveling across many state lines to be with each other?! Not just on holidays?! My sister and I have a lot to learn from your eagerness for sibling time. We're working on it, hikes help. I need to remember this particular route for our next reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy spectacular gorgeousness! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice. The Dipsea. At least part of it. Get ready to get rained on this week. Try the ma po tofu at Mission Chinese if you've got a free night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. miss rumphius is my home girl, and when i grow up, i want to be a librarian at the stinson beach library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH! Just clicked through to your Tumblr and you have a pointer! We think our desert mutt Dolly is pointer-lab-bird-doggie something or other. YAY for bird dogs!

      Delete
  9. Wow. Yay. I'm sitting on a sofa in SF as we speak and am so happy to think you are in my city. Enjoy. And if you think to yourself suddenly, I sure could use a middle-aged lady who loves my work to take me to lunch, well, you ping me. I won't be expecting it, since you have sistering to do. Just knowing you are here makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this post is awesome, but now that you mention there's a unicorn coming in a future post, i'm not sure anything else will compare! (though those redwoods are incredible, and i would love to see them upclose+personal...)

    that shot of the misty fields is making me incredibly jealous, and trilliums are pretty much the best flower ever, if only because they're the provincial flower of ontario. (true story!) plus, how can you go wrong with a flower that's pretty much made from a bunch of triangles!?

    ...glad to know you're no longer sleeping on the floor, though. cos that is just bad news. <33

    ReplyDelete
  11. LUSH.

    Hope spring break leaves you feeling regenerated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE. I kinda want to crash your sister party but I'm not. I mean, I'm not crazy. ;)

    Glad you're having a mad good time. (Homebois beWARE, yo.)

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looooove these photos. I need to do that hike ASAP. So awesome! And so wonderful seeing you. Seriously. Amazing catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like many of you know this trail! What a magical place. I was BLOWN. AWAY. by the flora we saw; sooo lush!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow that looks absolutely stunning! I went to Muir Woods the summer before last and loved it, but kinda wished there was someplace more open to enjoy the peace of the redwoods. Sooo Mt Tam is going on my list! :) Love the red headwrap, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing like a sister hike in the brooding, misty redwoods. The trees are magnificent and the baby orchid is unreal...your photos are truly captivating. Keep the SF posts coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE THIS POST (clearly) and San Fran told me it wants you back. There are so many more amazeballz restaurants, day trip adventuring, grape stomping, tahoeing, farmers marketing and Peter Gabriel song singing whilst driving over the Golden Gate to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were literally in my backyard. Marc and I have been hiking there for years. How funny would it have been to run into you Mrs. Lily. Next time we must hike together! I will bring a thermos of blue bottle for us. Bisous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gahhh and guess who has a lovely red swatch ... moi it's my favorite. xo!

      Delete
  19. Oh Miss. Rumphius. That book set my philosophy of life.
    I just wanted to let you know that I keep coming back to gaze at this post, the photos make me so happy. SO HAPPY. The flora and the moss and the sisterness of it.
    Must hike that trail. It looks like the best kind of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, the Redwoods! I have been dreaming of a trip out there. These photos are absolutely lovely. Those trees are ents, tree-hearders. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the outing. As a mom to a child with cerebral palsy and seizures it is not that easy to enjoy this type scenery anymore............so it was really special to view them through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These pictures look amazing! We live here in SF but embarrassingly enough, I've never done this hike. Putting it on my to-do list right now

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW!!!!Amazing!!!Great shoot!!The woods are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: