Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Ace

{Or, Hotel for Dogs}





What I wouldn't give for a weekend at the Ace in Palm Springs. You know they allow dogs, right? That's the best part. Also wonderful? Their use of local talent. I get a swell of high desert pride when it comes to the Ace because many of the details that make the place such a feast for the design-appreciative eyes were made by Joshua Tree artists: the 70s-inspired stained glass window was made by our friend Steve Halterman (of grain silo pool fame) and the marvelous, gargantuan brass handles on the entrance doors (which remind me of Tibetan gongs and/or monumental robot breasts, take your pick) come courtesy of the masterful Alma Allen (whose studio blog with his amazing wife Nancy Pearce is definitely worth a visit). And so, we conclude with a very brief Q&A session:

Q: How much do we miss the desert?
A: LOTS.

Pictures from Valentine's Day, 2010

14 comments:

  1. I miss the desert too. Its those mountains and the air and the earth and the light *bigsigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a second there I thought you were back! We visited the Ace in December, it truly is wonderful. I really want one of those yurts in my backyard! And I did NOT know they allowed dogs, that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think this time of year i miss warm. the Ace in Portland is pretty amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great hotel! The decor is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on! You miss 115' at 10:00 p.m.? You miss a scalding hot steering wheel? You miss obscene air conditioning bills ($$$$$)? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! lily, you crack me up. i'd miss the desert too, if i'd ever been. instead i just long for it (and drool over those pool pics...that looks so damn awesome!)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing. also, i want your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. weird, i was just telling my mansy that i was longing for the desert and thinking of joshua tree! i think this means we have to go, like right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Ace. I went to Palm Springs for the first time this summer and made my friends take a little detour to the Ace. It took me a while to hunt down the little red and white camper, but it was worth all the fun photos. Thanks for sharing this. Now I'm anxious to go back : )

    xo, Lauren @ theurbanhippie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This place looks so dreamy. Hooray for the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Ace looks amazing! They allow dogs but do they allow toddlers?? Well, close enough. Gotta get there one day.

    The desert will always be part of my heart - a big part.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. looovveeee. we brought our dog dexter on our last trip there -- perfection!
    xoxo.
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always heard how awesome the Ace is, but I never realized dogs were okay there! Now it's jumped to the top of my list. Love that shot of you guys sunning by the pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love The Ace Palm Springs. We just got back!:) Heather Ross- Textile Designer hosts an amazing sewing retreat every year in the dessert. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: