Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Franconia

{Nine People, Three Dogs, One Little Prefab & A Sudden Realization}













Thanks for all the incredibly sweet, supportive comments from Monday's post. Speaking of cherishing the time you have with the people (and canines) you love, P. and I recently got back to Brooklyn after a few days with his family at the *rad* old prefab his grandparents built in New Hampshire in the 50s. It's like a good-times sardine can; you can pack a lot of warm bodies in that little house. Armed with a cord of firewood, plenty of wine and a bag of Bananagrams, we had a ball spending some QT with the fam in the woods.

When we arrived with Mac and Dolly and a bag of unwrapped Christmas presents (which we then "wrapped" in newspaper from the kindling bucket and masking tape- it was like an Etsy horror show) I had this sudden realization that P. and I have unwittingly turned into Cousin Catherine and Cousin Eddie from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation- remember the uninvited guests who show up for Christmas with their eyesore RV and dirty kids? Yeah. Have we turned into Crazy Aunt Lily and Ex-Marine Uncle P. with the two shedding dogs and the fiberglass egg trailer? My god, yes. Yes we have.

23 comments:

  1. franconia!! hope the visit involved a trip to the dutch treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool house! I love your way with words. "good-times sardine can" and "Etsy horror show" and your crazy cousins realization had me laughing. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very cool place....you two are so funny! i love it that you two catherine and eddie.no you could never be!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the good kind of crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is an adorable cabin - toasty warm, lazily comfortable, gorgeous setting and doggy dog bodies. Can't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like such a beautiful and fun time! love the trimbach too - my favorite of the alsatian wines -- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am jealous! Such a lovely place! Wish I was there too.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all have our role in the family, don't we? I'm definitely the know-it-all big sister in mine. Mike is the rambunctious baby brother of his. Together we're the ones who are always late and always disorganized...but on the upside we bring the party and it gets fun when we (finally and disorganizedly) show up. Family roles are funny. I have tried to change my role...it didn't work. I'm stuck with it- they're all stuck with it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bananagrams is the best!!

    xoxo bun
    http://www.bybun.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The house looks so lovely and homey! It's weird how photos of time with family come out with a certain feeling, a certain look. It's like, if I didn't know better, these could be from a weekend in a ski chalet with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! A puppy post!! I LOVE your vacations with the dogs and that cabin is all kinds of rad! You really have the best architectural karma you know that? The place in Joshua Tree-Awesome, The place in India- Awesome, The Farm-Awesome, The pad in Brooklyn-Awesome and now this place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tenement on wheels! And the Mississippi leghound!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is made of win.
    I was just pining away for my (ahem...my friend's mom's)camp here in Mane. Usually it is closed down for the season. Next year I think we have to change that. Winter at camp seems lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the nice comments, team. To answer/respond to a few comments-

    Katie- I can't believe you know the Dutch Treat! P. almost fell out of his chair when I read him your comment! We LOVE that place!

    Rachel- THANK YOU. Take that, Cousin Eddie!

    LPC- Thx, but that remains to be seen;)

    Morgan/Brick Haus- P's family DIED that their beloved little sardine can made it on the hippest modernist architecture/interior Tumblr on the 'net. You totally made their day. Soooo funny.

    Natasha- I didn't even notice- I'll write that one down for future winter evening glasses of cheer!

    Tonia- I love you.

    Jen- you're so sweet- thank you. I wear rose-tinted glasses, it seems.

    Aye2B- Winter camp = major win.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this! can you tell me which "little prefab house" this might be? it's a little fab! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. really love your blog and all your photos!
    selene

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: