Friday, December 2, 2011

Roadside Silhouettes

{Or, Observations from the Week}



1. The irony of the dramatic death-rattle and irrevocable meltdown of my trusty five-year-old MacBook Pro while working on an article about the importance of periodically unplugging from technology is not lost on me. (On the upside: I am typing this on my new MacBook Air. It is the Shetland pony of computers; it has the kick of a mule packed into a pint-sized body. Shazam, people.)

2. The sound of coffee beans grinding in my Cuisinart food-processor is indistinguishable from the sound of the jackhammer on the street outside my apartment. (Conclusion: a proper coffee grinder might be on the Christmas wish-list this year, before my neighbors go insane.)

3. Stir-frying withered, moldy broccoli does not negate its withered moldiness, nor does it preclude one from the resulting unpleasantries no matter how killer that ginger sesame sauce was. (Reminder: be a functional adult and go grocery shopping right. now.)

Have a lovely weekend. I'll be working away in the studio and can't wait to share some new projects next week. Image above: endsheet from my beloved Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America. Coming upon that spread inside the back cover might just be one of the most exhilarating book discoveries of my animal fact-obsessed childhood. 

19 comments:

  1. pretty book!

    i am glad you got a new laptop already! my mac died last year and i had to replace it shortly afterwards as well! it was like life ended, except that my blog was floating safely in space somewhere!

    xo
    sami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember my grandmother's Peterson's guide at her house on the Cape!! I drew me sitting on the fence.... perspective eluded me (those must have been some mighty big birds!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post! I just got out my very old Peterson's Field Guide and enjoyed looking at the endsheets. Don't forget to look at your life list. Man, that brought back memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. irony at it's finest, regarding the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww my iMac lasted almost exactly 5 years too! But at least you're loving the new baby. :) Hope you have a lovely weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen such a charming inside of a book cover!

    I think you deserve some kick-ass takeout....happy working! Can't wait to see.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother has that book, I used to love the silhouettes inside the cover (sometimes more than the pages inside). Ach to dying computers! This old Mac laptop is really starting to get crabby with me. It even stopped latching! The Macbook Air sounds delightful as you describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely roadside silhouettes and I agree with you on the MacBook Air -- it rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the way you worded everything in my post. Many of the things made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad I'm in such good company re. the MacBook Air *and* Peterson's. Yes yes, for those of you without, you can buy the old turquoise cloth-bound out-of-print edition on Amazon for $5. I know, because I just bought another one for a printmaking project:)

    Happy weekend, peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cackling because someone recently gifted me a bag of coffee beans and I lack a coffee grinder, but a cuisinart that currently makes me the favorite tenant of my building right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother had that book too, and I remember looking at it in the car as a child when we drove the slough {where silhouettes were the only birds we'd see there for some reason -- so it came in handy} Beautiful photograph of it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's kind of refreshing to know that you eat withered old broccoli on occasion. Your life seems entirely too perfect sometimes, although I know that must be an illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i havent been here in a while ms lily and now im wondering what the hell is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. heidi, gurrrrl, read back to some of my india posts when sh*t hit the fan and i was NOT coy about it. or about p's return from iraq. but thanks for the honest comment- the nature of a blog IS an illusion, but i know i get depressed and spiteful when i read super happy gorgeous blogs where everything is ALWAYS perfect, so i'll make sure to show how the sausage is made a little more;) xo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh! i have this book too! and I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. can i just say how much I enjoy your writing. and i had a moment of awe discovering this very book too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. a tidbit i'm finding more & more interesting, my mac book pro died 5 years to the day. and a month later a friends mac book pro died within days of the five year mark and now reading this post i feel sure there is a conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: