Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Minimalist Eggs Benny for One

{Or, Breakfast to Keep the Engine Running}





I wish I could say I spent the weekend hopscotching through all the marvelous holiday craft fairs and sample sales, twirling around Brooklyn sporting a jaunty hat and wool cape, gathering up armloads of green market produce for a wintry stock, but nothing could be farther from the truth. I didn't even get dressed on Saturday, which backfired when I furtively snuck down the stairs of my building to grab the Times (that blue plastic tube-sock of newsprint indulgence!) and an entire bevy of depressingly hip moms ambushed me in the elevator on the way back up. I crossed my arms and pretended I was wearing a bra, and considered whether my ratty L.L. Bean shearling moccasins counted as "shoes."

Whatever. These bills won't pay themselves, and I had piles and piles of computer work to do. I cranked out an essay for an upcoming solo show (so excited! so not ready!) and an overdue article for Kinfolk, and tried to stave off a cold with cup after cup of echinacea tea. But the crowning achievement of my weekend as a shut-in was, if I may be immodest, a particularly delicious salmon and eggs breakfast. It's high protein, low fat, satisfies my Scottish genetic hankering for smoked salmon, and kept me full until the late afternoon. The Meyer lemon is key. Vegans, I beg your forgiveness. Erbody else, read on:

Minimalist Eggs Benny for One
I prefer sustainably-caught *wild* Pacific salmon. Stay away from that antibiotic-infused farmed stuff if you can. Some reasons why, here

Ingredients:
2 slices fresh whole grain bread, toasted
2  eggs 
2 slices smoked Pacific wild salmon
1 small shallot, finely chopped 
salt & ground black pepper to taste
generous squeeze of Meyer lemon juice
olive oil

Directions:
Heat small sauce pan on medium for a moment; once hot, coat evenly with smallest amount of olive oil possible while still coating surface of pan. Crack two eggs and let cook until whites are just starting to cook through. Cover for ten to fifteen seconds (no flipping needed). Toast bread in mean time. Remove perfect eggs from pan and place on toast. Yolks can be removed easily if you don't desire them. Crack liberally with salt and pepper. Layer over with thinly-sliced smoked salmon, then cover with shallots. Finally, squeeze lemon over salmon and eat immediately while toast is still warm and crisp. YUM. 

20 comments:

  1. life keeps us from doing those fun jaunty things all too often, doesn't it? gotta at least have a good breakfast to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the word(s) of Omar from The Wire, TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good! I'll have to give it a try. Smoked salmon is one of my favorite breakfast indulgences. (I, too, have Scottish genetics.)

    And sometimes comfy beats hip. I'm under the weather and went to school in sweats tonite. I felt like a loser for about 5 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAH! you write so, SO well. I'm constantly impressed! And... your flatware is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This sounds toothsome.
    And that sneaking downstairs on the weekend in ratty pajamas and running into pretty well-dressed people happens to me on the regular. You'd think I'd get wise and at least buy a new pair of sweat pants and slippers - but no. I still wear old neon pink shearling slippers from my teenaged years and a pair of sweatpants so old that they are nearly sheer at the knees and bum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like my perfect breakfast. Yum! Thanks for sharing.

    I was guilty this Sunday of not leaving my pajamas at all. But hey, I got a lot of work done as well, so a win? I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. as if you didn't already know, i think you are as awesome as that grand breakfast recipe you just shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your apartment looks gorgeous. the nosy interior decorating nerd wants to pop over and go on a tour. i love your pillows and lampshade, the paper whites growing and just about everything else in your space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First: I love Omar from the Wire, so your comment made me smile.

    Second: This is my favorite kind of breakfast and it's perfect for shut-in days.

    Now I totally want a shut-in day full of eggs benny AND the Wire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Appreciating this as I sit on a Wednesday morning working from home stretchy LL Bean yoga pants pulled up obscenely high for comfort's sake. Hoping when I poke my head out to get the mail that only the hounds next door will be snickering. Since I JUST tried my hand at planting (if you can call it that) paperwhites this morning for the first time, I am especially impressed by the lovelies in the last photo. Gorgeous! Hope you are feeling better. And I second Stephanie's comment re: The Wire. We are currently savoring every last episode of the last season ... already morose that we are so close to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum, i would eat that-without the salmon of course. i am a veggie! thank you for the comment on my blog!

    xo
    sami

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, now you have to come over and make me breakfast. I'll totally stay in my p.j.'s.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. We do this for Father's Day every year, bcs. it's the best! Love pumpernickel bagels too, with cream cheese and the lox then yellow fluffy eggs on the side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. twirling and hopscotching is usually a lot more fun in the blog photo recap, at least in brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Three nights ago, our kitchen window banged wide open, and a blustery cold breeze came whirling through the house. I, in my [granny] knickers, got up and went out back to close it. Closing it involves standing on tip toes, with one leg perched up against the wall (there's a 4' wide mud patch between the path and the wall) and then reaching up with a broom handle to slam the damn thing shut again (it doesn't lock). And only when I was done doing this did I turn around and see one of my neighbours who I don't know standing there with his shopping bags staring at me. And, like, not even in a 'wow she looks great in her granny knickers' kind of way, it was more horror than anything...

    I died, I tell you. Died.

    So yeah, I know what you mean...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks amazing! And weekends in are sometimes just as nice as weekends out

    ReplyDelete
  17. i would like to come to your solo show. can i? xxxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a different tale than your late night romp to the corner Circle K in Joshua Tree, maybe the same outfit, but different run ins. Happy Holidays dear girl, to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy to see all these confessions of the poorly dressed stay-at-home-worker. I too am a serious offender, which equates to one helluva quick scamper when anyone comes a-knockin'.

    I need to eat like you-I think it would make me more happy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. woah. loving the abundance of shallots in the second photo! yum.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: