Monday, November 7, 2011

Dia:Beacon

{Or, Let's Move to Beacon and Have Chickens}














You GUYS. We finally made it up to Dia:Beacon, an old Nabisco box-printing factory on the Hudson River transformed into a temple of Mostly American Minimalist Art. All caps. The room upon room of Agnes Martin paintings filled my brain with quiet as my body radiated laser beams of love; sitting with those paintings is something akin to a religious experience. Natural sunlight poured in through the ceiling windows overhead as we wandered through the cavernous Robert Ryman rooms (white upon white upon white!), giddy with the muchness of it all. A rush of good will for my fellow man flooded my heart as we maundered through the old loading docks where Richard Serra's behemoth steel curvatures -like enormous strips of industrialized whale fat- transformed the space into something magical, transporting, existential. Something human. 

Not quite ready to leave, we lingered; P. had a cup of coffee while I fondled all the books in the ridiculously comprehensive book store (and finally decided on Dia's excellent new book on our gal Agnes, patron saint of the desert). After an especially toothsome sandwich along the adorable main street in town and a wander down to the river to catch our train -mapled hillsides ablaze in the afternoon light- I thought, hmm, this place is *very* special.

Well we live in Beacon but we have a winter place in Joshua Tree, I whispered to no one in particular on the goldeny Hudsony train ride home. 

14 comments:

  1. That's just how I expected you to feel. xo, your couz

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post! i need to visit Beacon again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that place. LOVE. Have you been to Stormking yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dia:Beacon! Have you been to the other one?

    Also, on Serra: being from out west, there is something very comforting about walking into a Serra. It's like being inside a canyon for a minute, even if the canyon happens to be in a museum or a park or an old factory. Also, I love how they move as you walk through. Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. dia:beacon is magical. the room with the enormous richard serra piece reminds me of storm king, only indoors. and beacon is the perfect little town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds truly glorious! There is nothing quite like the joy and stillness of wandering through rooms of art and sunlight....

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, it's amazing in there especially when it's raining! You sit there quietly and hear the rain coming down on the roof, its so magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue- Storm King is one of my favorite places on earth. I didn't realize until this weekend that Dia was right up the road!

    Mouse- YES! Canyons indeed.

    Katherine- I can't wait to go back in rain or snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i thought about moving to beacon when i was pondering moving out of the city. but new paltz is currently my favorite choice for that move someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was on my to-do list but i never made it. guess it calls for another trip to the city!
    xo!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  11. White on white on white?! These kind of places exist in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it fabulous? Quite possibly my favorite art space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too dream of going back to Joshua tree for winter living...but I'm still looking for my other home.I'd better check out Beacon..San Diego for now darling!
    Emily S.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: