Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Breakfast

{And Getting Down to Business}







This morning here in apartment 4B we are working against the clock on a deadline for an upcoming article for Kinfolk. And by "we" I mean me and WGBH's classical music live stream, which is keeping me excellent company on this drizzly Tuesday. Besides a little Schubert, I think most of you would agree that the first step in rolling up one's sleeves to set about writing is to make an elaborate open-face breakfast sandwich of fried eggs, caramelized onions, farmhouse cheddar and sliced McIntosh apples, topped with a generous stippling of cracked black pepper. Its scores few points for beauty, but I recommend it most heartily as part of one's preparation for a day of writing because it is (was) so outrageously delicious. 

And so we are slightly behind schedule, friends, but we are very well-nourished. 

16 comments:

  1. That breakfast sandwich sounds like a dream...or like it would at least motivate me to wake up from a dream to get working!

    Enjoy the rest of the day, and the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As was mine. Open faced toast and eggs smeared with left over St. Marcellin cheese. Seriously considered also dumping the last of the bottle of Vin Jaune into my coffee, but decided against it on account of a hope to have a motivational meal and not a desperate one.

    Glad to know there is someone else in the world medicating looming deadlines with eggs and cheese.

    Look forward to reading your piece in Kinfolk.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM x 10!!! And the place looks adorable. Love that lampshade sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, that's exactly what I need to push through this draft. Ugh. Good luck with your Kinfolk article, that's exciting! I'll look for it in the next few issues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, shubert indeed! good luck with your writing--can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to learn that what appeared to be bacon is actually carmelized onions. This dish will be on my breakfast plate this weekend. Looks increds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds wonderfully cozy and quiet! And with good food too? Perfect. Can't wait to read your article.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is an artist I know. reminds me a bit of your stuff
    http://www.andrewpeycha.com/gallery.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a confession: I dove into your Joshua Tree posts for a good chunk of time after a brief visit there this weekend. While we were there I was thinking that the perfect way to explore the place would be to know someone who lived there because it felt like there were so many secrets and hidden things to be known-then I remembered your blog- and now I have an even bigger passion to go back and just sit in the sand and watch things roll by and bring a pot of lentils out to eat under the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sliced apples on an egg sandwich, a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait for next number of kinfolk, i loved your first article (and the whole mag) sooo much. But Lilly, please, could you please avoid posting wonderful and inviting food for sometime? I look like a cow (actually weigh like one) and that sandwich pic is not helping me staying off food...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great lunch inspiration for tomorrow! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. we enjoyed looking through your blog - lovely pictures! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: