Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sunday Morning, Cambridge

{Ten Years Later}







Sunday morning woke us up with dappled sunshine on our eyelids, full of promise, full of September Sundayness. Belying the awful reality of the date, the memory, the old ache a fresh wound of sorrow as we turned on the television. We watched, tears streaming (who couldn't? who didn't?), and held our heads. Still, a decade later, such unintelligible loss, but also, also this: so much hope, resilience, pride and love. We made our way outside into the sunshine, and found ourselves driving past my old apartment above the laundromat on Kirkland Street. Next to the butcher's. Where I lived with three beloved roommates and Mac the corgi, where I cooked my first and last Christmas goose, where I fell in love with P. Seems like so long ago, I said as we rumbled by. It was after 9/11, but before P's first tour in Iraq. Long and not-long.

We made our way to The Biscuit for lattes, warm baked things and the company of strangers. We're so lucky, you and I, he said. We counted our blessings, lingered, and finally it was time to board my bus back to Brooklyn, back to New York. 

14 comments:

  1. hmmmm yes. miss lily. just caught up with your posts and such big events in such short paragraphs! stickin with the "we're so lucky". xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes indeed. we are all so lucky.

    am loving your cambridge/brooklyn posts...though i'm sure you'll be glad when your posts consist of one city at a time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing pains indeed....as individuals, as a nation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they have a REAL RESTAURANT CALLED BISCUIT? sign me up. lovely beautiful post. love to you and sweet p! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. a lovely glimpse into your day, and a good way to spend that dreaded date

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful! i love your fifth picture, with the little bird jauntily sitting there in the perfect light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the thoughtful comments. xo

    and kate, YES, it is indeed called the biscuit, and when it opened (in the old toscanini's spot in somerville) i used to walk the real biscuit-biscuit there to get coffee on special mornings, grinning to myself the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am grateful you had a peaceful 9/11 anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you are an artist and your husband is post military.. I wouldn't usually think of those two mixing, but I like it. -gia

    ReplyDelete
  10. saw this and thought of you today - http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/bestexoticmarigoldhotel/

    ReplyDelete
  11. that first picture is the perfect combination of things that make me oh-so-happy :)

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: