Monday, September 19, 2011

Ryan & Ernst

{Or, I Saw Drive and It Was Amazing + Some Sicknasty 19th Century Zoological Prints}





1. P. came down to New York this past weekend, and we tried to maximize every last ounce of time together via one cousin's post-elopement party, meeting another cousin's new baby girl, kitchen-muddled Old Fashions at 3am with yet another cousin, and going to the talkies just the twozuvuss, where we saw Drive. And my gawd, it was so unbelievably cool. I can't believe I'm saying an off-beat car chase movie might be the best film I'm seen all year, but, really. Think John Ford classic western re-imagined as Miami Vice but set in contemporary downtown LA with a pitch-perfect cast and a few staggering moments of Tarantinoesque gore. If that sounds like your cup of tea then I'd say don't read the reviews and don't watch the trailer, just go see it in a packed theater late at night with a film geek friend/lover and an open mind (and it *is* the kind of movie you want to see in a packed theater- the energy and ocasional input from the crowd totally made the experience). It's a slick, gorgeous and unexpectedly satisfying little film, and the music is perfection; try this and this. And report back; I'm eager to hear if other peeps loved it as much as I did. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for old cars and 80s soundtracks.

2. I spent the better part of Sunday working in the studio, where I got all fired up poring through Ernst Haeckel's incredible prints from Art Forms in Nature. For those of you new to the strange and wondrous world of Haeckel, let's go over the facts: German biologist, naturalist, philosopher, physician, professor, artist, mountain climber and the greatest proponent of evolutionary theory in late-19th century mainland Europe. He also discovered and described thousands of new species in his vast travels, mapped a genealogical tree connecting all forms of life and had a soft spot for sponges. I'm totally adding him to my all-time greatest dinner party guest list of dead people. He can sit right next to Gertrude Bell. And we'll all watch Drive after digestifs and discuss.

Hope you had a good weekend. Real life is getting in the way of blog life it seems, so bear with me with these sporadic posts until I get the swing of things.

21 comments:

  1. I would totally love to throw that dinner party for you, Mr. Haeckel and Mrs. Bell; figs, cheese and Absinthe. We should also invite Monsieur Rimbaud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did indeed love Drive... feared it might have bent under the weight of it's very own coolness, and veer into Miami Vice territory... but somehow never did. The last fight scene in shadow was extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo Drive sounds great. I'm going to give it a try. San Diego audiences don't give much back, so I'll try not to get my hopes up in that dept.

    I luuuuv Haeckel. Whenever I can slip some of his images into a moodboard I do. His color is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annton- yes indeed. I'm in!

    Debbie- I know, right? Strangely, and wonderfully, the audience started laughing and screaming during the ridiculous gore-fests, which eased tension and made it kind of a joke we were all in on together- us, the audience, and Ryan Gosling's character. Esp the elevator scene. And the sweet awkward silence the driver shares in the kitchen with Irene at first- those moments are what add quirkiness, uneasiness, to what would have otherwise been something too smooth. I can't think of another actor who could have pulled it off better than Ryan Gosling. He KILLED it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. craziness - i loooove ernst haeckel's prints! i actually have two from an etsy purchase that you just reminded me i need to buy frames for...so thanks! :)

    i kinda wanted to see drive (hellooooo ryan gosling, nice to see you again), but now i REALLY want to see it. i might just have to ignore the reviews, too! they always suck (the fun out of any movie) anyway.

    glad you got some time with yer sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of Drive but can't wait to see it now! Also, anyone with a soft spot for sponges is a good egg in my book, thanks for the illustrations

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just cracked me up, and made my husband's night. I've been all "meh, maybe" about seeing Drive, not really knowing anything about it. To be fair, he hasn't really tried too hard to make the case. You on the other hand, made the case, and won in my book. And speaking of books, my oh my - those prints are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i saw drive on saturday night just the way you said to, albeit unexpectedly - packed theater, no previews, just went - and it was AMAZING. i'm in love with mr. gosling and the soundtrack - i drove home from class tonight listening to it on repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love those animalia prints! I wonder if it is possible to order prints for framing from some online source? So beautiful and complex!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a Haeckel book today while treasure hunting at Goodwill? (a girl can hope...) If not, I have a couple of books just waiting in my Amazon cart.

    p.s. I'm totally going to see Drive.

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last summer my boyfriend moved six hours north of Portland so that he could pursue his chaplain training. It was a tough season - I was finally done with school (finally!), and all of my free time was spent pining for him.

    We would take turns making the drive every two weeks or so, and frantically trying to get days and days of time together into 36 hours was both indulgent and overwhelming.

    Reading your most recent posts reminds me of that heartache and delight. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that third pic! have i said this before? you pack so much into a little post - with such conviction and convincing-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man those are gorgeous! I'm glad you're in the studio again!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sicknasty! You are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have been a long time fan of Haeckel. Which reminds me, a poster of his needs to find a home next to my Smokey the Bear ones in my new apartment. Such perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. pretty sure the anthony lane new yorker review spoiled drive for me, but who am i kidding? i read ten million reviews before seeing things anyway. glad to hear you liked it; will be attempting to drag joe to it sometime soon.

    the descriptions of the way LA was shot made it sound very michael mann to me; did you ever see collateral, his oddball jamie foxx + tom cruise joint? best work tom cruise had done in years (decades?), and the cinematography was boss.

    i saw the first of your haeckel photos up there and immediately sang "here comes the jellyfish!" quite loudly. sorry about that, office.

    matching towels,
    LMO

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow thanks for sharing! i must go get art forms in nature asap! xx nina

    ReplyDelete
  18. I go to this book constantly for inspiration and ideas of pattern, such a good studio resource.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok. So. Drive.

    Super entertaining. Loved the major campiness. Loved how the girl behind me kept on squealing and declaring she hated it. Which made me had to like it because clearly she was awful.

    But I was left wanting a bit more... driving? I was all over the chase scenes and the hiding from the helicopters under the bridge with the police radio thing. More police radio and I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.You’ve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?
    Regalos de boda

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: