Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins

{Or, What to Feed Angelenos for Breakfast in Maine}



The tiny, jewel-like wild blueberries are just starting to ripen up here in northern coastal Maine, which means two things: 1. we're smack in the middle of summer and 2. we're eating blueberries, Blueberries For Sal-style, just as fast as we can pop them in our mouths. And so what better way to see off our friends who have been visiting from Los Angeles than with a batch of early morning blueberry cornmeal muffins? As the honeyed scent from the oven wafted upstairs a horde of hungry dogs and men appeared in the kitchen, lips smacking in Pavlovian, species-nonspecific anticipation. Sweet and slightly tart blueberries plus the satisfying crunch of cornmeal is an A+ in my book, and, judging from the speed with which the muffins disappeared, the fellas liked them too.






Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
Recipe, plus a few tweaks, from Martha Stewart (I know, I know, but all interweb arrows kept pointing me to this particular recipe). Makes a dozen muffins. Absolutely off-the-charts delicious the next day, cut in half and "toasted" in butter in a cast-iron skillet. 

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
3 tablespoons honey
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (would be curious to sub with buttermilk)
1 1/2 cups blueberries (or as you like)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place softened butter, 3/4 cup sugar, and honey in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs; beat 1 minute more.

2. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture in mixer bowl. Beat until combined. Slowly pour in milk, beating on low, until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries. Divide dough among greased or no-stick molds (do not pack too firmly). Brush tops with cold water; sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar over each.

3. Bake until tops are browned, centers are set, and a cake tester inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool in pans 5 minutes while beating away the crowd suddenly gathered in the kitchen. Serve at once. If there are any muffins left (doubtful) store in airtight container for two days. YUM.

25 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! Can't wait to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look perfect! my fav is a cornbread with a smear of delicious butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I live me some blueberry cornmeal muffins. These look particularly attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, yum. I see these getting made very soon at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fact: I hated blueberries until moving to LA. They're just different here, I don't know why. Sweeter, more flavorful. They used to just taste like mealy mushy nothing before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for just planning my breakfasts for the rest of the week :)

    these look utterly perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look perfect. i have a big bag of cornmeal sitting in my fridge, but i never know what to do with it other than, duh, cornmeal muffins. search: over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Kate I too wasn't a HUGE fan of these berries but these puppies looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your recipe and joyful photos :) It's always such a delight when you put up a post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cornmeal is currently my favorite ingredient, sweet or savory. Definitely baking these up once I get some blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lily, i just wanted to say, i really loved your contribution to Kinfolk... the photos made me hungry. and the words were transporting. it was one of my favorites in the whole magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing they look delicious...I'll be giving them a go this weekend! The temperature is SO hot here in NY that I need something to do inside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have blueberries in my freezer! I think I can this recipe..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks, team! lemme know how they turn out for those of you who make them.

    kate and jen- funny how they can be entirely different species in different parts of the country! besides maine wild berries, i have to say good ole' garden state blueberries from new jersey are THE best blueberries i've ever had. true.

    olga- that's such a nice thing to say. thank you.

    carissa- the feeling is mutual, lady. thank you! xoxo

    julie, thanks for stopping by and lemme know how they turn out! hope you have a/c.

    elisa, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made. I ate. THREE. THREE MUFFINS. I ATE THREE MUFFINS! But they were so delicious...

    My husband comes from Blue Hill, Maine and I love the ruddy look of all the blueberry fields. Those teeny weeny berries pack a lot of flavah.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to get myself a muffin pan STAT. The sole purpose of which will be to make these muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. gah! How is it that you always have the best of recipes? It is unnatural! The "crunch of cornmeal" is what is really sending me over the edge with these beauties. Needless to say, I will be holding one of these muffins in my hot little hand before the day is through. the end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. done, Done, and DONE. To next week's breakfast treat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blueberries for Sal is a childhood favorite of mine! We read it as a family many, many times. We camped in Acadia one summer all together when I was about ten, and our campsite was surrounded by wild blueberry bushes. My brother and I sat in them all day, blue-faced-and-fingered, like little bears mowing down. Thanks for the recipe!!!! I can't wait for the blueberries to come around here in WI.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lils, making my way through your recipes. Made the granola recently. So good. I'm off to pick blueberries from my grandmother's backyard in order to make these muffins. I'm in Oregon right now, chilling (and trying to get my stomach back to normal) before I start work in two weeks! Can you believe we were in north India almost a year ago?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just made these with berries I picked in Bayfield, WI. SO GOOD! We can't stop eating them. I think I ate 5 in one sitting. Maybe the best muffin recipe I've ever tried. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh ooh ooh, I made these and brought them to the cabin. We sat down with fresh coffee, pluots and these fabulous muffins. Boom. Gone. Delicious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have just slid a batch into the oven.... not sure how I feel about them (batter looked *extremely* dry so I added a titch more liquid. Which was my downfall in gr. 10 Home Ec. and the ill-fated oatmeal cookie preparation...) we'll see. maybe it's just one of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Did you know you can create short urls with OUO and make cash for every visit to your short links.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: