Monday, June 6, 2011

New Hampshirous

{Into the Woods/ Wild Combination}

On Friday P. and I threw together a grab-bag collection of camping gear, loaded Mac and Dolly and a cooler full of Stone IPA (his) and Riverhorse Summer Ale (hers) in the truck, picked up my Brooklynite cousin and her amazing bf, and all headed north for a weekend of revellery in New Hampshire in the form of a cousinly ten year high school reunion.











Although initially the mere thought of a high school reunion brought on hives and a wash of social anxiety, cuz and I rallied* with significant others in tow and ultimately had an absolute blast reconnecting with long-lost classmates. It was a whirlwind of camping, catching up with wonderful people I haven't seen in a decade, hunting for wild pink lady's slipper orchids, and generally marveling at how beautiful New Hampshire is this time of year.

On the long retrospective drive back to New York and New Jersey cuz + bf introduced us to the music of the late Arthur Russell, a New York cellist who was a pioneer in the crossover of downtown music and rock into the early dance beats of the 70s and 80s. I know, what? Just trust me on this one, and give him a listen. Start with That's Us/ Wild Combination, which looks primed to be our song of the summer. Hope you had a great weekend.

* Full disclosure: We may or may not have taken a nip of whiskey in the girls' locker room before the morning reunion event for an extra ounce of courage. Just being honest here, folks.

22 comments:

  1. That sounds like a blast. I would have had to take a little sip of whiskey, too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly love your blog anymore than I already do, you go and mention whiskey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very brave, Lily. The prospect of mine made me stay stolidly in NYC.

    My kisses to Naughty Biscuit and Hound of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camping for a reunion? That sounds amazing! And I'm rather jealous that you spotted lady slippers in the wild. They're the Minnesota state flower and I've never seen one in the flesh (cellulose?).
    It's so fun to see the dogs again. I bet you're just loving them up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great camping trip!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome home lily and p.!

    nice to see you back in usa nature! happiness is spilling out of the bigbang studio blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fortification and oodles of cheer: it really was a fantastic weekend. Love the pic of the BoDibblys, love that you've fallen hard for Mr. Russell, love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, camping sounds so amazing right now. My reunion will be next year and I'm strangely looking forward to it. I figure it will be like an anthropological study! With lots of whiskey, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun weekend!! And I just absolutely love Arthur Russell! There's a biopic on him and the Downtown music scene that's pretty great! Big hugs to you and the pups! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. he he, the dogs look real happy. I'm going to check Arthur Russell right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lily! you are home again! and in one of my favorite places in the world! hope all is well!
    big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm dying over Arthur Russell. It's like early Antony and the Johnsons plus Rod Stewart plus everything that's awesome. Are you going to Pratt in the fall? I just inherited a french pointer and have just discovered the magical dog playland that fort greene park turns into in the mornings and evenings. those doggies will be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys collectively have way more High School Reunion Courage than I (cept for Amanda, but she's brave in other ways).

    And Amanda/Bird for Bread: of COURSE you're already hip to Arthur Russell. Isn't he magic?

    Katie- exactly. And no, I'll be at NYU, but there's an awesome dog park at Thompkins Square Park and I'm soooo pumped for Mac to make it his fiefdom. Enjoy your French pointer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sitting here with my mouth wide open. That looks like heaven. I had the same experience with my 10 year reunion. I didn't want to go and my bf dragged me. I had the best time, plus I gained a little perpective on past Desi that helped present Desi do some acceptance.

    I love your dogs btw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hooray for camping! hooray for reunions! hooray for lakes! and hip, hip hooray for cute cute doggies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ours approaches as well ... whiskey is definitely in order. Although ours will be in a bar, so presumably drinks will be easy enough to get our hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uhgg, my 10 year was a JOKE!!! I never went to another one after that. The camping looks AMAZING!! We're headed North this weekend for our little trial run with the new tent. LOVE me some camping.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds a bit familiar. I took my Irish Setter camping last year and she sleept in the tent and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. niiiice! i am excited that you're home! get together soon please!? I am excited to hear see talk all. if you want that is!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what amazing memories. as for the 10 year reunion - i wouldn't even go to mine kicking and screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i skipped mine as well, i admit. if camping had been part of the deal i think i'd have been much more of a trooper; as it was i feared i'd be attending for schadenfreude alone.

    in other news, corgi buns in a tent.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: