Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Home

{At Long Last, Back on the Farm}


We awoke to a rapture of sweetness in the air. Timothy, Norway spruce, freshly cut grass.


A blur of fur, a rush of dog-love. Mac and Dolly full of kisses, waggy stumps/tails, respectively.


Small World beans, ground, brewed and sweetened. Savored in my grandmother's teacups.


Fits of dianthus erupt like laughter from every available crack in the overgrown garden.


Secret places, wild and green. Quiet places.


Sisters home from San Francisco, Boston, Salvador. A college graduation, with cupcakes.


The barnly organization of tools. The barnly scents of hay, diesel fuel, Murphy Oil Soap.


Sweet Misty. Alone. And very, very old. An old farm horse is a beast full of love, patience.


Certain dogs have discovered horse manure. Certain humans fight back with Cowboy Magic.


Tending to a split-rail fence. And realizing my parents could use a little help around the place.


Forgotten vessels, discovered amid tall grass, buttercups. Tadpoles. A whiff of childhood.


Spots, in various forms, from various places. Like Joshua Tree and Montana. Spots that get along.


Strawberries. Some half-nibbled by mice. All devoured by corgyn if you don't close the garden gate.


Hidden in the hay fields: fledgelings, fawns, fox kits and one very large, very surly skunk.


A celebratory family dinner. All around one table for one precious night. Candles, peonies. Lettuce from the garden. And mosquitoes, but no one will remember that part later when they think back to that wonderful summer evening.

And so it is very good to be home. Almost too good; we are blessed beyond belief.  Such bounty, space, and comfort is almost overwhelming after living in a place where so many people live with so little. A lot of thinking to do, there is. And a lot of weeding. Lucky for me, says my mom, thinking and weeding go hand-in-hand. Today we'll plant tomatoes. Next week we'll bring in the hay. There will be lots of weeding. And good beer. And so this is how we Come Back Home, Make Ourselves Useful, and Chew our Existential Cud. Dheeray, dheeray, as they say in India. Slowly, slowly.

33 comments:

  1. You've had quite the journey. It's been amazing to follow. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, are you loving it?! I'm home for a bit now. Had two glasses of red wine as soon as I arrived at 6 am. LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, gal. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your story telling leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely. Glad you're taking some slow time for yourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome home. it's always such a pleasure and joyful journey to follow you here. there. everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so idyllic. What a beautiful spot to come home to--seems like a place where time can slow down a little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh. I know I've said this before but it seems like yesterday you were leaving the farm for India. The dogs and their happiness KILLS me! Just love them. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful indeed and now how long before the next adventure?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely synopsis of How it Feels to be Home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to do exactly what your pets are doing!

    Aron
    www.hitherandthither.net
    www.babymine.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. HOME.

    This made me very, very happy. Soak it in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun and joy, and good food...! Thanks for all the sharing of your adventures-I am glad you are finding so much peace at home- ( you make everything sound so exciting and ideal maybe you will inspire me to do some weeding too...)x

    ReplyDelete
  14. my feeling your transformation in your words is so thick. heady. it brings me to a place i've been before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your posts make me... happy to be alive. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ah, there's no place like HOME. this is the coziest post ever. weeding is one of my all time favorite things to do in the world because i get to THINK and let my mind peacefully wander.

    always such a delight to read your blog, my sweet! xo joanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. welcome home - i can only imagine how those first few days felt - especially with your doggies! (i miss mine incredibly).

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to have such a farm and garden. And its true, weeding and thinking go perfectly together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "a whiff of childhood". I can't even put into words how much I love/understand this. This farm looks like pure magic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the picture of Misty! Can taste how happy you are to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh, thanks for the lovely words, team. It *is* wonderful to be home. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome back stateside, dear!

    I love that the corgis love strawberries. Our dear old chow used to love boysenberries and had developed a special lip curling method to attain them without scratching herself on the thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  23. you gave me goose bumps. welcome home, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i htought that i would miss your post from a broad, even thought about what countries i would like you to vist more and capture with your photographs and your words OH your words.....

    but then i read this post, i see the photos and my eyes fill up with tears and my heart expands, and i think no lily at home on the farm inspires me, breathes new air to my lungs- makes me me belive in YES I CAN.

    i have not tried the bread but i will and i am going to call it the big bang bread. your farm and family home makes my heart ache.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh yes. re-entry is an interesting thing, but yours seems soothing at least!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wowsa. i want your farm. i want A farm. we have a family farm in East Tennessee and I always leave pieces of my heart there - i can only imagine how joyful it was for you to return.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't think I've mentioned this to you yet. Forgive me if I have. I discovered your blog a couple months ago, while living in Israel for four months, and spent the initial few days post discovery devouring your blog from beginning to end (well, actually, from end to beginning). It's my favorite blog ever. You're such a wonderful writer-making everything feel serendipitous and whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  28. there's no place like home!!! welcome back. i like your farm posts best, so i'm happy you're there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You take the most beautiful pictures Lily!! Makes me want to throw a beautiful backyard dinner (candles, glass & flowers...so pretty). Hope summer is treating you well :-)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: