Thursday, June 23, 2011

Carolina Summer Salad

{Watermelon, Strawberry & Spicy Globe Basil Salad with White Balsamic Vinegar}



Ash and I threw this fruit salad together with a North Carolina watermelon from her neighbor, local strawberries, tiny leaves from her spicy globe basil plant (see if you can find one of those puppies for your fire escape/ kitchen windowsill/ herb garden; the tiny leaves are intensely flavorful and aesthetically delightful), a dousing of white balsamic fig-infused vinegar, and a heady cracking of black peppercorn. Super simple, right? The spiciness of the basil and pepper tempers the sweetness of the fruit, and the gentle white balsamic does wonders for the whole shebang. Shazam, I say.



Carolina Summer Salad
My new favorite go-to summer fruit salad. Co-authored by two old friends sitting on a porch and pondering a cleaver and a ten pound watermelon. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
watermelon, cubed
strawberries, hulled and quartered
spicy globe basil leaves, whole
white  balsamic fig-infused vinegar (regular balsamic is just fine, too)
cracked black pepper

Directions:
Gently toss fruit and basil with vinegar and pepper in large bowl. Let stand 10 minutes for vinegar to mellow and sweeten (but not too much longer or the watermelon will get sad and watery). Unbelievably refreshing on a hot summer night.

18 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, and very refreshing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my uncle has made strawberries in balsamic before-- i need to tell him to throw in watermelon and basil next time! looks fantastic!

    xo
    sami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum, yum. I could put balsamic on everything. It's so tasty with berries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum....im glad im not the only one who is prone to putting pepper on fruit....and i have a ton of basil....im a nerd i have six varieties of it growing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loves me some watermelon and strawberry salad. I always go a lil crazy and throw in some feta too. Best summer salad EVAH.

    merci!
    Shannan

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds so yummy! I've been addicted to watermelon, mint, feta salads lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I will try it out! We are in South Carolina for the summer and this will come with me as an inspiration!
    Thanks Lily!
    Hope you have been able to start anew after India and I can't wait to here more about your move to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. The pizza looks good too...homemade?

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so fresh! perfect for summer time

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog & I love the photos-the food looks so good! :) I included you in my post for today: http://beckleydesign.blogspot.com/2011/06/blogging.html. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just want to bananagram that whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that ya'll love some feta in your summer fruit salads!

    VicArt- thanks for the welcome back.

    Beck- yes, but I can't take an ounce of credit for it. Our friends used Trader Joe's pizza dough (YUM), pesto, buff mozz, artichoke hearts and rehydrated sun-dried tomats, then cooked them on a pizza stone in an outdoor grill. OMG, best pizza I've ever had.

    Jenny D- thanks for the love!

    Lauren- crazy, this: I got your comment on my iPhone while playing B'grams last night, and we all thought that was the craziest thing in the world. How did you know? SRSLY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent view!Great Article.This is possible only when we have a good quality kitchen cabinets.

    Used Kitchen Equipment

    ReplyDelete
  14. That salad looks pretty bomb... So refreshing! I just made some watermelon Margaritas the other night!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been reading your blog for a while and have never commented. This salad, however, has brought me out of the woodwork -- this was amazing. I would have never thought to put all these ingredients together, but it's so refreshing, especially in the middle of a very warm Nashville summer. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: