Thursday, April 28, 2011

Motorcycle Trip

{Flashback: Travels with Pops}

I was scrolling through iPhoto looking for shots of Joshua Tree (upcoming guest-post! stay tuned!) and came across these old pictures from my birthday motorcycle trip with my dad two years ago. This post breaks two rules: I've posted some of these pictures before *and* it shows faces, but all the Neil Young I've been listening to today inspired a devil-may-care re-post. After all, you can't very well write about an American motorcycle trip according to the rules












Rewind back to April 2009: P. was in Fallujah doing Really Dangerous Stuff, I had just wrapped up a show and was having a bit of a hard time missing him, my birthday was approaching, and neither my dad nor I had ever seen the Grand Canyon. So my dad rented a Road King from the Palm Springs Harley-Davidson dealer, I baked and tinfoiled two loaves of rosemary cornbread (one bounced off the bike at 60 mph near Amboy, CA and exploded into a million tragic golden pieces; the other we shared with fellow-bikers on a washed-out road in desolate Peach Springs, AZ), and away we went. It still cracks me up that my dad wore pleated khakis the entire trip, but that's what makes dads dads, right? The father-daughter Harley trip has become somewhat of a tradition in our family now, and seeing that part of the Southwest by bike was honestly one of the most joyous, amusing, life-affirming trips I've ever taken. Also, the only valid excuse to wear a black leather jacket with copious amounts of fringe.

Speaking of which, I bet a hundred rupees one of my light-fingered closet-raiding sisters lifted that baby while I was in India. 

21 comments:

  1. Me thinks you be a little homesick, girlfriend. Nothing like crawling around the Navajo nation to bring some perspective on life's simple pleasures. Long vistas, huge gashes of earth, soul soothing emptiness. Every picture tells a story, the moments in a life time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so fun and amazing. I love to find little bits of memories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you get any cooler?? GOODNESS!! YOU never cease to inspire me!! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind seeing repeat pictures of this trip! I love it. I'm sure my dad would love to do this (he recently went on a motorcycle trip with his brother to watch the leaves change back home in west virginia), but motorcycles + me are not a good match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so sweet. I love that you guys had this trip together, so special. I can't wait to see the old GC, never have. Must make a special trip, must rent motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Caroline. Like if someone were to do an ad campaign (sorry, marketing background here) to sell coolness, this would be it. Except since ads are fake, it won't happen. Of course he wore pleated khakis. At least he took off his slippers, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dad is so cool, pleated khakis notwithstanding, and you're so brave. I'm with Rachel - motorcycles scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. um. this is so amazing and looks ridiculously fun. poor cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. while i WAS in india? does that mean you're back home now?

    also, you're pretty darn adorable, missy. i get the whole no face privacy thing, but showin' your mug once or twice (or more) won't hurt anything. it's nice to see who's behind the wonderful works and pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys are so sweet. Thanks!

    LPC, amazingly, he left his slippers at home.

    Zinzi- yes, poor cornbread! That's why you always have to make TWO loaves; you never know when you might lose one on the road.

    Rhi- no, dude, we're still very much in India. This is just a flashback to two years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup- glad you finally showed your face! You and your pops are adorable. Beautiful pictures, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. duuuuuude. i remember reading post about your harley trip and practically crying. your dad is super adorable and you guys look like you had an amazing time. rock on, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, that is so sweet and I'm totally missing my dad now! A father-daughter motorcycle trip sounds so cool... even with pleated khakis :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I chuckled quite a little bit reading this. And I got a little teary eyed too...just thinking of what makes dads dads, the pleated khakis and those unabashed smiles. Makes me think of my dad and that just makes me smile from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lily! What a nice face you've got. I loved this post. What wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what an awesomely cool biker chick you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice to put a face with the blog. and i love the skirt in the last post!!! love the length and the color= perfection

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. I agree with your way of thinking. Thank you for sharing. womens motorcycle helmets

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: