Saturday, April 23, 2011

Desert Tent Camp

{Luxury in the Thar Desert}

The night before Carrie and I took down the show in Delhi we slept in a stuffy non-airconditioned stained-sheeted cockroach-inhabited (not quite infested, just, like, inhabited) guesthouse room in the backpacker district. You know what's the opposite of that? A luxury tent camp in the Thar Desert, in rural western Rajasthan. Boo-ya, seedy guesthouse by the Delhi train station:













P. and I spent one glorious night here with his parents when they came to visit a few months ago, and I keep thinking about how marvelous it was to wake up in the desert to birdsong and a strong cup of coffee. Just like how we used to do in Joshua Tree, only different birds, different coffee.

And yes, that's a non-fiction book by Elizabeth Gilbert AND a bowl of potato chips (either Tomato Mischief or Masala Magic, I can't remember which) in the same picture, both of which are usually banned in real life for the sake of mental and physical health, respectively.

25 comments:

  1. Oh what a luxurious treat! Looks like an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily!! Gorgeous. Much better thjan Paharganj fo sho!!!
    Have you seen Three Idiots? Zoobi Doobie is my new favorite song. Is it playing everywhere? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Miss you!!!
    love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh. somewhere in my closet my Apartment Tent just shivered, alerted to the discussion of its billowing overlord. i would like to camp like a mughal (with potato chips).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lily, aaaj, aap meri blog par hai. literally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! What a great place. Your blog has me searching for rugs for my house. All the ones you've posted or that appear in the back ground of photos are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tomato mischief! hilarious.

    that looks like my kind of camping (including elizabeth gilbert reading material).
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are those digestive biscuits with your coffee? Komown! Yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just delightful!
    Happy days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your blog always makes me feel like i am traveling alongside. thanks for all the details. from the beauty to the roaches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow. this place is stunning. lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read 'eat, pray, love' too. Please keep the secret.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The charm ooozes! Like being on the set of a Meryl Streep film. Were you able to give the beautiful white pony a proper hug? Hope so!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog so much. Thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great shots, especially *like* the top one with the angles cushions overlapping the stone teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH my, this camp looks like heaven. Lovely photos :-) Happy belated Easter, hope your travels are treating you well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh i've always longed to stay in a fancy tent in the desert! this looks right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that I know Masala Magic potato chips exist, I don't see how my life can possibly be complete until I get my hands on them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. and with reading this post I'm caught up in your India adventures. Love. It. Thank you so much for sharing and reminding me of how much I want to travel again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is this in Jaisalmeer? Did you make it there? Magic place...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lily, its so great to find your website... like a life saver.... i recently moved to Jaipur from Bombay and i was just not happy with the shift till i read your blog.... you really make Jaipur seem like its a magical city with so much going on.... I can't wait to explore it..... thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lily, its so great to find your website... like a life saver.... i recently moved to Jaipur from Bombay and i was just not happy with the shift till i read your blog.... you really make Jaipur seem like its a magical city with so much going on.... I can't wait to explore it..... thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: