Thursday, March 17, 2011

Our Lady of Hope

{An All-Inclusive Appeal to the Powers That Be}









Hey crew. The opening was amazing, but let's talk about it next week. Bigger stories to follow right now, and hard ones to swallow.

But in the spirit of keeping the faith (whatever be your conviction or persuasion), here are some shots of the gorgeous 17th century Portuguese churches around Old Goa in southern India, including the stunning effigy of Our Lady of Hope (third picture from top). Originally carved from wood by Franciscan friars in Italy, she was brought to Goa by Portuguese sailors in the heyday of the spice trade, and beautifully painted in gold leaf, cobalt, and buttermilk-marble paste by local Hindu-turned-Catholic craftsmen in 1652. Despite the unsavory history of religious conversion, it was breathtaking to watch pilgrims -Catholic and Hindu alike- light candles and lay garlands of marigolds at the feet of Our Lady of Hope.

As far as religion goes, I'm an opportunist and firm believer in seeking out all the help you can get (must be the pagan Pictish blood from my Scottish side of the family). So although I'm no Hindu, tonight I bought a string of marigolds from the one-legged lady on the street and made an offering to the Ganesh shrine our landlords built into the space above our front door. So to Ganesh I ask he remove what seem like insurmountable obstacles at Fukushima, and to Our Lady of Hope I pray to keep safe the people of Japan. 

12 comments:

  1. The church is gorgeous and love the lush garden, sort wild but beautiful. Our thoughts & prayers are for the people of Japan. My heart ache with all the images coming from there. God bless Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, may All Gods bless Japan...- (I am just as much of a religious opportunist as you- it must be my husband's Pictish blood...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings and Prayers are being sent non stop~
    I have friends there and they are keeping me abreast of the situation. Just know that it is bad, but a not as bad as the media portrays it to be. Thank You for this beautiful post~ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words are always a comfort to me. Prayers are powerful-and I am sure bringing them much needed support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifully written, my darling! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm not much on religion, but AMEN sister on anything that will relieve the fear and suffering in japan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. here's more of my little shtick for japan lily! thanks for your previous note. look forward to hearing about the opening!

    I think everyone’s heart is in the right place with "A DAY OF SILENCE FOR JAPAN". I’d like to ask bloggers who are not posting however, (and blog readers!) to use their time contacting Representatives and the Japanese government in order to urge the Japanese government to permit food and supplies airdrops to Northeast Japan where people are now starving, a week after the earthquake. See a video interview with a Japan scholar on my site: http://mlleparadis.blogspot.com that explains why.

    Thanks if you can help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes we need the whole team here, all the possible Gods. And less people believeing in nuclear, because a natural disaster was more then enough.

    Go Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post. I had dinner last night with my cousin's in-laws. They are Japanese, and they all flew in two days ago from Tokyo for a week's visit (how they managed that I'm not sure). I was amazed by their spirit in the face of everything they've endured. We shared a moment watching the moon rise like a flaming peach over the bay, and my cousin explained to me that what we see as the man in the moon in the US, the Japanese see as a rabbit in profile making rice cakes. So, I will pray to every god and goddess, to the man in the moon, and to the rabbit, too, for relief and hope for the people of Japan. Thank, Lily, for your beautiful photos and words. xo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, as always, Lily. Moment by moment hope so needed for our friends in Japan. Btw, love the new works--they just pop. So you. xox

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: