Thursday, February 24, 2011

Taking Stock

{A Few Scenes from the Week}







I'm taking a midnight break after twelve hours of painting (Lord Krishna help me; all the paintings need to be dry by Monday) to take stock of the week: work, punctuated by countless cups of strong black tea, collecting source material for a side project and rooftop beers with friends (rooftop beers concealed in mugs so as not to ruffle neighborhood feathers, which adds a certain teenage sense of naughtiness to our perfectly legal and otherwise boring, occasional beer-drinking). Our internet connection is usually too slow to download music, but I recently bought Pantha de Prince's mesmerizing song Lay in a Shimmer during a thrilling ten-minute stretch of high-speed internet bliss (beer! internet! I'm living on the edge!), and it's the perfect mellow dream sequence for late-night, all-night painting benders. If you're sick of your old Ratatat albums and twiddling your thumbs waiting for Noah Lennox's next project, download Lay in a Shimmer, stat. It's gorgeous.

Also, that hand-woven, natural-dye dhurrie pictured in my Jodhpur post? P. went back to the weaver in secret and bought it, then carted it on a seven hour bus ride across Rajasthan to give it to his Valenthyme. What a fellow he is, that P.

Mkay, back to work. (And I realize the excessive use of parentheses is an indication of both too much caffeine and not enough sleep. Alas.) Have a great weekend.

18 comments:

  1. oh! the bangles! the marigolds! the rug! sigh. your life is so full of photogenic items ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the show, going to check out Lay In A Shimmer now. Your husband is thoughtful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want your stack of bangles. There is no type of jewelry I love more.

    I advocate excessive use of parentheses in all situations, sleep deprivation or not.

    Mentally willing your paintings to dry faster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously want to send you a care package. Inside would be bacon and beer and a really good burrito and chocolate and maybe the Dry the River album I wake up wanting to listen to every morning. And something knit out of a few skeins of persimmon yarn that jumped into my basket the other day, pretty sure thanks to you and your gorgeous, pinky orange photos of late.

    Oh, and PANTS. Hard to wrangle street bacon without a decent pair of those around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own one of the songs off that album but for some reason never bought the whole thing. Dumb. Making a note now to check it out.

    Also, I'm a fan of excessive parentheses use.

    And, whoa, what a husband. For reals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am always so moved by your images lily!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you must have the greatest textile collection now. oh man. love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lily ... your photos always have so much color. Sending you much LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I clicked through to that song Lay in a Shimmer - wow! Thanks for helping me remember why I used to like electronic music so much.. off to download the whole album!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your stories always add a burst of sunshine to my day (even when you use lots of parentheses)!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Parenthesis is my favourite word that is used by americans over us common-wealth types. "Brackets" is ghastly.

    Please make a post about the world cup cricket. There is none of it in Mexico and I do miss that gentle game that the indians adore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum to coconut
    yay to painting
    &
    fun to secret beer drinking
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like bliss from here, 12 hours of painting...nice. Also, we are music soul sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh man, that is my dream rug, such perfect colors! is it antique?

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my. i've been crazy and blogless for so many months that I missed your move to INDIA. congratulations! I am insanely jealous and will now follow your blog (if no one else's) feverishly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you forgot to MENTION THE PINK RUG. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have almost that exact rug!!! http://seawall.tumblr.com/post/3948704577/yes-i-do-wear-them-in-public

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: