Thursday, February 17, 2011

Getting It Together

{Or, Five Steps to Overcoming Pony-Death and/or Your Standard Late-February Blues}


1. Wake up. If one is to move on and be an adult about things, one must first Get Out of Bed. And admire one's handmade block-printed Anokhi quilt while you're at it. Then one should read a little. I finally just finished Liz Gilbert's rambling, histrionic treatise on marriage, Committed, and happily changed gears with Patti Smith's slim, gorgeous, unsentimental but deeply human Just Kids.


2. Scald milk on the stove. Not just regular old watery skim but rich, sumptuous water buffalo milk. This stuff can really make you get up in the morning, people. Imagine the best latte you've ever had, then add magic unicorn tears and crack. That's how special and good this stuff is.


3. Brew a decent cup of chai. Extra cardamom, heavy on the black pepper, easy on the sugar.


4. Catch up with friends. P. and I have been incredibly fortunate to make some lifelong friends here in the Thunderdome (as one of those friends calls India). When you suffer mildly from temporary melancholy, few things lift the spirits like hot chai, digestive biscuits, and comparing notes in excruciating, exquisite detail about the dolor of mosquito-borne illnesses.


5. Work. Crank out new paintings, hustle sales, prepare for upcoming shows and lock down gallery dates for 2011. And whilst doing that, catch up on NPR's All Songs Considered podcasts (Bob Boilen cracks me up; he's totally that socks-and-Birkenstock-wearing, root vegetable-roasting music teacher the kids in band idolized in high school). But what's even better than listening to Bob Boilen while painting is that P. comes back from his week of field research tomorrow and I get to hang out with the huz. Which I've learned from experience is the very best way to overcome pony-death and/or your standard late-February blues. So things are looking up, chickens.

Thanks for all the truly thoughtful notes about Lemon. My parents and sisters have been reading your comments with much tenderness, surprise, and appreciation. It's amazing to have a community of complete strangers united by animal love, which is, as my friend Nora put it, the very purest kind of love. 

21 comments:

  1. That quilt is so beautiful and cheerful - I'm quite jealous. Have lots of fun with your husband when he returns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post. I want to print it out and follow step by step - replacing local specifics to fit my scenery of course. I can only imagine the joy and serenity that water buffalo milk brings - sounds like heaven. do you put it in your chai?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've got it down, lady.

    That quilt is gorgeous. And I wish I could just hop over and share some chai with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magic unicorn tears and crack!? Sounds like I need to try me some water buffalo milk with a quickness.

    Talk to us about this chai recipe. I've made some before, but would feel so much more special if I had a recipe direct from India. Might you post a recipe? I trust your beverage recommendations very much. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lawd, but I love your photos+words! Glad to hear you'll have time with the hubby, they tend definitely skilled at lifting spirits. My family recently lost the shih tzu we had inherited from my grandmother and the love I got on FB & my blog was incredible! It's the reason this internet based age is/can be so awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect recipe for beating the blues.
    And, that is the best summation of Committed that I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unicorn tears and crack?? I am so in and I want to put that in my lattes!!!! Much Love Lily!! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. having some major envy over that quilt. i have such a thing for textiles and patterns, it's nice to see someone else making them in their sketchbook! can't wait to see more work, i hope your blues, however they are induced, are swept away *soon*.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so so many things that I love about this post-starting with the unicorn tears. I do love me some digestives and those sketchbook paintings are beyond fantastic.

    I was very sad to read about Lemon-family pets are really the dearest of friends. I hope all of these things will banish those February blues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want that quilt. I want a quilt like it. I want to send you a big envelope of money and have you send me back one. Oh goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy, Rache, Laura., Rhiannon- I'll do a post about Anokhi for you guys- it's an amazing company that single-handedly reinvigorated the hand-block printing industry in Jaipur in the 70s, and they've been making high-end printed textiles ever since.

    And yes, CHAI RECIPE COMING SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing a good cup of chai can't cure. And if you add some time alone in front of a white canvas with a paintbrush in your hand and a nice soundtrack playing, well, you're on your way to be just fine.

    I lit a candle for your Lemon and my Nietzche yesterday. I know they're fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending some desert love to you and yours. We are in for a giant springlike storm this long presidential weekend. Nothing like the smell of wet creasote, and the budding of fuzzy prickly green to bolt us out of the winter greys. The old cottonwoods are breaking and cracking along the Mojave, and the bullfrogs are starting to sing. Your images sail me to India, and I'm hoping mine color you some American Southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok making my thoughts wander towards my kitchen and my cup of chai......

    sorry to miss the lemon post. harder i'm sure being so far away. glad to see you found a little lemon in your lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those all sound like wonderful steps. Just read the post about dear Lemon, and actually cried. I too lost a beloved equine some years ago and it was definitely rough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sound like a lady who knows what's what about getting rid of them there blues. Sorry if I contributed to them by causing you to read Committed!

    Looking forward to hearing more about that most delightful quilt (and indeed, more about how I can get my sticky paws on some gorgeous textiles from India without throwing my job in and flying there. Although, throwing the job in and flying there sounds like a terribly good idea right about now!) and How To Make Good Chai (a life skill that everyone needs, methinks).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Colors saturated enough to lick, bedding pulled flat, and scalded milk; soul's balm each.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that quilt is gorgeous. i can't wait for the special post on Anokhi. also, i'm glad you switched to just kids. i just finished it and loved it. i have no patience for ms. gilbert.
    mmm, chai.

    ReplyDelete
  19. anokhi is my favorite, i just brought back so many beautiful pieces while i was in india!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there, nice to meet you, Jody here, Kiwi living in Oakland. Came through Simple Lovely. Love your blog. Your work is beautiful and love the soft oranges in your third pic My doublenonfat latte tomorrow morning will be very wanting without the unicorn tears. Do grumpy kid tears count?

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: