Saturday, November 27, 2010

Delhicious

{Five Days in Delhi}











Our little business trip to Delhi was, surprisingly, a total blast. (Delhi can be a hard city to love.) P. met with his think tank and I pitched a project around for some funding, but besides work we visited with friends and ate like kings. First of all, Tegan and Sara were just amazing; they'd come down with Delhi belly the night before the show and kept joking about running off the stage to use the bathroom, but they still rocked out in their special, mulleted, twinbot way.

We crashed with friends, zoomed around insane Delhi traffic in auto-rickshaws, explored Hauz Khas Village to sample off-the-hook dosas, and saw the new Harry Potter at the posh movie theater. (True story: there was an intermission in the middle of the movie, popcorn-wallahs came to our seats to take orders for snacks, and the audience cheered every time good triumphed over evil.) Then we were up at 4am this morning to make the train to dusty, chaotic, magical Jaipur, and my it feels good to be back in a desert again. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

For the uninitiated, try Tegan and Sara's Alligator Tears and Back in Your Head.

12 comments:

  1. Tegan and Sara in Dehli!? You'll always remember the way you spent this Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Tegan and Sara, this must have been fantastic! Great Thanksgiving for you! We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Germany, although there's something similar called "Erntedankfest". But it's not that huge event, more a smaller occasion in the churches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a magical kind of night that you couldn't recreate even if you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Jaipur I think the most of all the places we visited. I just had that feeling when we arrived 'I could actually live here!'

    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! I don't love Harry P (gasp) BUT I wish I could also watch HP in Delhi where there is an interval for the popcorn wallah and people cheer when good triumphs over evil. I remember watching Titanic ("chichanikki") in Brazil and the audience similarly immersed themselves in the film: cheering, wolf-whistles, loud sobs. It was The Best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tell me more about that deep fried goodness on top of that palm leaf.

    What a beautiful blog you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, how could you be so lucky? I adore Tegan and Sara, so I'm a wee bit jealous but also thrilled for you.

    Oddly, I saw that picture and thought - hey, she looks familiar, but it couldn't possibly be ... and it was!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT FUN ! we saw Sting in Bangalore a few years back, and it was so surreal. magical India plus music / modern movies = such a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok. you KNOW that i love every. single. thing. about this post. tegan and sara AND harry potter? that sounds like my own personal heaven. i loved your late night/my early morning phone call re: twinbots and i love you and i miss you and i'm excited for JAIPUR!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make Delhi look so beautiful and endurable with these photos! I love that they cheered in HP when good triumped. But didn't you think it was so boring and what with the awks dance scene? MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: