Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Much Obliged, Mr. Dahl

{The Flowers of Wolfsburn}

“Most cultivated flowers were originally wild and many take their names from the botanists who first ‘tamed’ them. Thus, the dahlia is named after Mr. Dahl, a Swede; the rudbeckia after Rudbeck, a Dutchman; the zinnia after Dr. Zinn, a German; and the lobelia after Monsieur Lobel, a Flemish physician. But I am no botanist. I prefer to be the butterfly, perfectly happy in going from flower to flower in search of nectar.” –Ruskin Bond, In The Garden of My Dreams







11 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful. I love peaking into your life in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting quote! Dahlias are my favorite flowers - love that first photo especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY HELL!! Excuse my French these shots are GORGEOUS!! Dahlias are my favorite!! Cheers friend sending you much love! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, yeah woman, the flowers are beautiful, but what simply BLOWS me is the WAY you've shot these pictures. That is what makes me scroll through this post over and over...those humble plastic clips...that feather...all become poetry in your compositions...ufff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious photos, Lily!!! Some of my favorites of yours ever! I've been away too much lately and am just catching up with your amazing posts. Yay!

    xoxo Gigi

    P.S. Let me know if you still feel like doing a Legacy post over at the Magpie. No pressure, but I'd love to have you, if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so beautiful! Am I silly because I didn't know they had dahlias in India?

    ReplyDelete
  7. these pictures DO NOT LOOK REAL. color me, impressed! ze feather is my favorite. i'd like that print as my next birthday present please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very beautiful....i love dahlias and cosmos....

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: