Saturday, October 9, 2010

An Adventure in Two Parts: I

{The Drive}

Just because we moved to India and it's officially autumn doesn't mean we can't have One Last Road Trip of the Summer (you know how much we love road trips). So last week when word spread that the landslides had finally been cleared and the roads were passable, some new friends (we have friends!) invited us to join their group for a long weekend in the mountains where they are starting up a fly-fishing outfit in the region known as the Garhwal (which is easy to remember because it rhymes with narwhal, which is, let's face it, everybody's favorite small Arctic whale). 












The drive was dramatic in daylight, but once the sun set and we maneuvered over one-lane cliff-side passes, spinning wheels through the landslide muck and sending rocks off the unprotected side some thousand vertical feet below, there were moments of well this would be an annoying way to die. One of our vehicles got impossibly stuck and another suffered a transmission failure so that it could only, for the next four hours, drive in first gear. But we finally arrived at our destination, alive and somewhat exhausted, in a remote river valley where perched our marvelous lodge and tent camp. And that was just the beginning.

9 comments:

  1. My Gad Lily! I don't think I could stomach an adventure such as this (city girl that I am) so I'll just live it vicariously through your blog. How fun, terrible and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost can't believe you are having this experience. It's dreamlike. And to have a car, in India, I cannot imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Lily ... I wish we lived closer!! You are one of a kind. And I feel like I know you and we have never met. Your pictures, adventures and art really strike a chord with me. Cheers to living life sweet friend, inspiring others, and I send you much love and hugs!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. sooooo beautiful!!! i feel like i\'m there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indian road trip!!!!

    I'm relieved that you survived, but still feel (in a morbid way) that death by Indian cliffside would make for a pretty awesome obit. IN THEORY. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a trip! when I think of Indian adventures, while frightening in the moment (sometimes,) looking back it was always all good fun!! I am most definitely living vicariously through you
    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lily! I have neglected you so. It is nice to know I can bop over to your blog, and look through a window to see bits of your life. You visited me in my dream last night, so I wanted to say hello.
    Love that green beetle!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lily and Peter...now I have a way to say Hooray...what an adventure and it is just luscious to read. Rich and I have been wondering about your adventures and are now vicariously enjoying our armchair travels with you...feeling our heart rate increasing rapidly and reading every tidbit!! You are both truly missed but wished lots of safety and good times...Phyllis and Rich (in Yucca Valley)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and absolutely love it. I also love how in the top photo here you can make out that following your caravan is a classic white Ambassador (that with any luck has a red velvet interior). Ambassadors, though a sign of colonialism, also remind me so much about the frantic and beautiful way of traffic and transport in India!!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: