Friday, July 16, 2010

Scamp Update

{A Tour of the Space Nugget}

Finally! High-speed internets at a campground (in North Sioux City, South Dakota, of all places), and some catching up on bigBANG. But before I unleash a flurry of posts about the road trip we must pause for a moment to reflect on how very far our little Space Nugget has come. Some of you will remember the Elvis-inspired time capsule that was our 1978 Scamp when we first bought her off Craigslist in April. Three months later here she is, de-shagged, updated, and ready for the road:



We had grand ambitions of doing lots of reading this trip but nearly three thousand miles in, we've barely cracked a spine. But at least it's comfortable if we ever do have time to read (brushed burlap pillows from Crate & Barrel outlet, four foot long orange bolster from Anthropologie online sale).



The faux bamboo floor has held up spectacularly and is easy to keep clean. The tiny rug (Urban Outfitters online sale) attracts spotted dogs. Below, the new dinette.



P. built placeholders into the bottom of a bamboo cutting board so that we could use the area as extra counter space when we weren't using the sink. A 12 volt water pump (from the Scamp parts store) and new faucet (Home Depot) were a big step up from the dinky airplane lavatory hand pump that was there before.



He also installed three 12 volt LED lights meant for boats (the silver hockey puck above the sink, below). Because the Scamp is essentially a fiberglass boat on wheels we found the lights and a lot of other ideas on yachting websites like, no joke, sailorsams.com.



A generous birthday gift card allowed us to splurge on fun ceramic knobs (Anthropologie online) which went perfectly with the rest of the chrome hardware we used. Self-closing hinges from Home Depot keep the cabinets closed as we bump down the road.



We dry-cleaned the original 1978 curtains that were lovingly sewn by someone in the Scamp's past life. I mean, who can resist mustard pompoms. Seriously.



So that's a little glimpse at the Scamp before we hit the road a week and a half ago. Updates from the trip to come...

30 comments:

  1. I was born in sioux falls! wave to my grandparents, will ya?

    also, confession: I'm so jealous of your adventure I researched Scamps yesterday. My boyfriend thinks I should make jewelry on the road to support us. Ha.

    (dreams, dreams...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it so much my heart hurts! You guys are amazing, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. This is traveling in style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, as rachel said. truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very jealous of ALL of this. You lucky pups. Have fun kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU GUYS ARE MY HEROS! and where is this being parked when you are in india:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A little peek into what I hope will be an adventure to come, i have a 1974 Argosy Airstream, just waiting for a tow vehicle to take to the open road.... happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. giving me flashbacks to my youth in a vw camper! hope your blueberry pancakes taste as good as ours did! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally fantastic little space. Sounds like an amazing way to spend the summer, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. WHAT a makeover. I'm impressed. I'm glad you kept those curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done!!! You guys have done such a great job converting the scamp, very very impressed. Love the details, from the cool knobs, beautiful floor to the mustard pom poms. Happy trails!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job! Some very clever touches in there. And I'm so happy that your trip is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And a bit of twine to boot. Best to take on road trips with a bit of twine, methinks.

    Also, I wondered what original bit you'd find to keep. The curtains strike me as a perfect remnant of the Scamp's former glory.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore your attention to detail, right down to knobs, salvaged pom poms, and cutting board. This is one well-rehabbed scamp! I hope you're loving your adventure. Looking forward to reading/seeing more! xo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh, it's BEAUTIFUL! The perfect roadhome for you beautiful two. I love it, and can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lily!

    Sioux Falls is where I went to college, doncha know. Glad you are still ramblin' along. We miss you around here!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. your little scamp looks wonderful! enjoy your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. your scamp is way too cute. i can't believe you got internet signal! glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable. Every bit. But the ceramic knobs are my favorite. And I LOVE that you included "The American Girls Handy Book" in your library.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh, the Scamp turned out beautifully. So glad to get a glimpse of it with a Joshua Tree out the window. The perfect send-off scenery.

    Also, I just came across a collective noun that I didn't know: A blessing of unicorns. Immediately thought of you. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  22. can i come live in the scamp too? it's impossibly fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, this is fabulous! Really wonderful! You got skills, girl. And style!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wait, COME ON with that before and after! cutest little trailer ever.

    Cannot wait for scenes from the road.

    and then India of course.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love what you've done with the place!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good post. It is really help to us. Its give us lots of interest and pleasure. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. Its really a good article. It gives me lots of pleasure and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, your reno looks gorgeous! My boyfriend and I just bought a 1995 13' scamp and it's in immaculate condition, but I still want to take out the carpet and remove the rat fur walls. I want the wood floor look and I'd love plain white walls.

    So I was wondering what have you used on the floor and walls?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, your reno looks gorgeous! My boyfriend and I just bought a 1995 13' scamp and it's in immaculate condition, but I still want to take out the carpet and remove the rat fur walls. I want the wood floor look and I'd love plain white walls.

    So I was wondering what have you used on the floor and walls?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: