Friday, July 23, 2010

Last Night in Wonderland

{And First Night On the Road}

Our last night in the desert was also our first night on the road; we moved out of our house, hitched up the Scamp, and drove one mile up our dirt road through the gates of Joshua Tree National Park and into the lunar wonderland of boulders, ravens, and golden light. As predicted there were tears as we pulled away from our beloved tiny house and the life we'd created in the desert.







We hit the road at dawn the next morning with few words exchanged between us. As we sped through the Mojave Desert and the monzogranite cathedrals gave way to grassy plains, I knew we'd crossed some nameless, wordless divide and into a new chapter, and I squeezed P's hand.
He knew, too, and squeezed back.

13 comments:

  1. Me too! I'm envious of the unknown adventures you guys are about to have!! Have fun. I'll be following this fo sho- :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...i can practically hear the sdtrk of your new adventure. but i understand completely about feeling sad re: uprooting yourself and saying goodbye to the life you've known. good luck...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge sigh. That's all, really. There are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No words indeed. Goodbye my little chickadees. "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, THEY, have to take you in." Robert Frost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog, and this is why. Best of luck to you on your new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm crying...because i can't stand to leave the desert, for any period of time. it's so hard. but, i am oh so excited to see how you creat this new phase in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I need to get caught up on your blog. I scrolled back to older posts but still see no mention of you guys moving!
    What the heck?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am excited for you. New chapters, new adventures... so much to savor. I can hardly wait to read it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. first off the light in these pictures are incredible. The feeling you described crossing to another chapter and a thick silence that left me wi th a lump in my throat i no it well. This new chapter will be a contrast to the dessert rich and color and culture- looking forward in seeing what painting mught come out of it.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. i know this feeling SO well! a fine fettle to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I linked to your blog via www.pinterest.com.

    I was wondering if you could tell me where you purchased/rented that amazing teeny tiny trailer?

    I'd love to get one for my upcoming cross country trip!

    Thanks!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: