Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Foreign Cinema

{On Parking and Eating in San Francisco}

Driving through San Francisco during rush hour whilst towing the Scamp was a spectacle, but trying to actually *park* the Scamp in my sister's petite parking space was another kettle of fish entirely. The huz, the sis, yours truly and a good Samaritan pizza deliveryman all maneuvered the Scamp into her allotted space like an obstinate, obese pony, while a completely unfazed homeless fellow oversaw the entire operation from his perch in the dumpster across the street.






Later that night my adventurous sister whisked us down to the Mission for dinner and a movie at Foreign Cinema, a wonder emporium of gustatory and cinematic delights. We sat outside under a constellation of strung bistro lights and delected upon fresh Point Reyes oysters with champagne vinegar mignonette and dainty forkfuls of arugula and rose petal salad. Some racy Italian film from the 1950s projected across the long brick wall, and the whole experience was just magical. Really, add Foreign Cinema to your list of places to eat the next time you're in town, and hold court in the marvelous brick courtyard. It's the urban answer to a Midsummer Night's Dream feast, but the fairies wear skinny jeans, Puck is played by your server with the handlebar mustache, and the love potion comes in the form of a mint gazpacho amuse-bouche.

24 comments:

  1. i was thinking the highlight of the post was seeing the scamp parked in that spot, until i heard about THAT RESTAURANT. DAMN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add that to my list of the kajillion reasons I need to visit San Francisco. Hope your travels are going well! We are moving this coming weekend, so I'm sitting in the middle of boxes and packing materials as I type this. Was beginning to feel completely overwhelmed and needed a blog escape for just a wee minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foreign Cinema sounds amazing. And the Scamp looks adorable in that parking space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like my kind of place lily. thinking about doing the same in my own backyard. then silverlake would have everything! oysters compulsory. could it (it should) have been "l'avventura" in your honor? our vw camper van was red! think one would have been easier than the scamp? but sometimes rotundity trumps convenience. off to jury duty. thx for an a.m. flight of fancy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you! I like your blog. Greeting from a VW campervan lover, Guusje

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll admit that just the idea of getting a trailer through SF terrifies me. A car can be tricky enough. Relieved that you made it, thrilled to see photographic evidence of Scamp visiting a Victorian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll definitely add it to my list of things I must do when I finally make it to SF.




    (Also, these pictures of you guys in the city make my heart hurt. Maybe I shouldn't say that? xoxoxo)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds truly wonderful. Your adventures and your blog are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you had me at "wonder emporium". :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos on the masterful parking! Your lovely photos have made me homesick for the Bay Area. I'm very much enjoying the accounts of your cross-country adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just keep thinking, a la Journey, "I want to get ba-ack, to my cit-ay by the bay-ay-ay"
    Luuuve, lurrrve, luff San Fran.
    Biscuit's my dog's homie. Got to send you a photo some day...
    Scamp on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh! i miss san francisco! and now i REALLY want to go to foreign cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've been dying to go to modern cinema. there's just so many cool places in this city... the list is never-ending.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agreed. Foreign Cinema is my favorite restaurant in the city, though living around the corner from it does not necessarily mean I vist often, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Parking skills!
    I just found your blog & whiled away an hour reading back through your posts. Your campervan looks great, you did an ace job on it.
    I visited SF with my family when I was 10 and have been yearning to go back since, but now I live in New Zealand it'll be a few years longer still!

    Foreign Cinema sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want that love potion ~ it sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes i think i want that love potion too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What kind of dog is the non-Dalmatian?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Foreign Cinema is the cat's pajamas. I had tears in my eyes I was so overwhelmed with the explosion of amazing food sensations, sister-love, and atmosphere. Such happiness. Glad some of you agree!

    Elizabeth- The non-Dalmatian, who goes by Dolly, is an English pointer-lab mix. We *think.* We rescued her from a kill shelter in Joshua Tree when she was a timid waif of a pup, so we don't really know. But she points and flushes, so we're pretty sure the spottedness comes from a bird dog gene.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds - magical!! One of those moments where everything alligns perfectly and you know all is meant to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh. But I was hoping you'd say that the homeless man popped over and tried to help by offering to wash your windows for change, in the process.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: