Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pita Perfection

{Toasted Pita with Olive Oil, Avocado, and Cherry Tomatoes}

Like any serious ruminant (cows, bison and musk oxen come to mind), the girls in my family must have food in their systems throughout the day. Empty stomachs for too long result in a swift decline in cheer, and so when my mom came up with this emergency mood-enhancer a few years ago I adopted it as my go-to snack/lunch/dinner when I have pitas or flatbread lying around.  It's so simple it can't even be considered a recipe: toast the pita or flatbread until it's crispy, spread with good olive oil, slather with sliced avocado, dot with thinly sliced cherry tomatoes, and crack some sea salt and pepper over the whole thing. If you don't have avocados it's still rapturously delicious with just the bright flavor of the tomatoes.



Psst...a great trick for removing avocado pits: cut avocado in half lengthwise, lodge a knife into the pit with a flick of the wrist, rotate pit in place with knife, and ta-da!

16 comments:

  1. Very very nice. I shall try this with chappati or naan (our Indian flatbreads) and my neighbour's yearly quota to me of a sackful of Avocados.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I LOVE this. Now if only I can find a reliable source of decent avocados in this country. (They just don't know what they're missing!)

    And? I too become one of the world's most grumpy grumps when hungry. Clearly, I'm another ruminant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an avocado and tomato sandwich at a restaurant the other day, and I thought wtf am I paying for this for? plus the bread was soggy. d'oh. toasted pita bread = genius. doing it.
    now if only I could find avocados that don't suck in ny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you've made me quite hungry - and thanks for the tip! have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks entirely amazing Lily and the photos are dreamy. When do you leave? Do you have time for a get together before you are off to India. Sending you a hug dear friend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am So making that for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Lily, I still remember eating toasted pita with olive oil and adorable halved cherry tomatoes at your house with you so many years ago. I've been making it ever since! So delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "rapturously delicious" ~ best food description I've heard in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can never go wrong with avocados...never!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's just as good as pie?? Pita Perfection! Made it... Loved it... Made it again. Except everything I make must have cilantro. MUST! Thank you miss lily for my new fav.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is my breakfast every day!
    usually without the avocado except on special days......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice avocado photos! We are a family farm in So. California who grow and ship premium avocados all over the USA. If you're having trouble finding really nice avocados in your area, try ordering from us! http://www.CaliforniaAvocadosDirect.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the format to your blog. Is this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is rare to peer a nice weblog like this one these days..

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: