Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Little Slide Guitar

{Memorial Day Dinner at Pappy & Harriet's}

Back to work after a long weekend of hi-desert hijinks that included a winsome pair of house guests, a disagreeable flat tire, the consumption of a dozen avocados, a consultation at the RV repair place (I never thought I'd say that), an impromptu trip to LA for a Swedish electropop concert, and a little bit of painting. But best of all, it involved a joyful evening at our favorite desert watering hole: Pappy and Harriet's. If great mesquite ribs, bad margaritas, outstanding company and some mean action on the slide guitar sound appealing, then Pappy's is your place. In fact I'll go so far as to say a trip to the desert without a night at Pappy's would be tragic. It's one of the happiest places on earth, and everyone -cowboys, bikers, Marines, hipsters, desert rats, two-steppers, rock climbers, tourists and kids- is welcome.







Hope you had a good long weekend. I'm in overdrive trying to finish paintings and commissions before the studio has to be packed up in a month, but that doesn't mean I can't squeeze in a little honky-tonking.

14 comments:

  1. that looks like some damn good honky tonking girl! good squeezing in! and nice arm shot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow the food looks amazing! headed out there in two weeks. thanks for the tip, i'll be checking it out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a weekend! And that last photo gives me the warm fuzzies. That looks like my kinda place!!! xoxo g

    p.s. yes, I'm supposed to be writing tonight and, yes, I'm blogging instead. Shhhhhh. Tell no one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That place looks perfect! The boy can be one of the rock climbers, and I can be... well, I wanna say hipster, but tourist is more likely. And everybody needs a little honky tonking, no matter how busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me want to go to America again..

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey you covered alot of ground! we had a similar one but we ate alot of mangoes! i am already sad thinking about not seeing you in joshua tree anymore but i know the next place/posts will be just a lively and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! We haven't been here yet. On the list for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P & H was our headquarters for trail rides up and into the San Bernardinos, Corral 103. We would ride all day, saddlebags loaded, to end up again at twilight for drinking and merry making with the locals. Very fun days, and long evenings, driving home with trailered fox trotters. So many wonderful memories, still in the making. Lovely photos, thanks for sharing, some things never change, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! We almost made it there, but once you're up under the stars and moon beside the campfire it's hard to talk yourself (and everybody else) into heading back into town. Next time, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonbon- that's my hubby's manly arm;)

    Coffee- NO WAY! You mustmustmust get dinner at Pappy's. Saturday nights are always fantastic but Sunday nights are my favorite- their house band plays then and they're absolutely fantastic.

    Gigi- I won't tell. Promise. Because I should be painting right now.

    Girl- You are hipper than a hipster, my dear.

    Ida, Mlle, Rachel- xo!

    Ginger- that is SUCH a great story. I *wish* I could pull up to Pappy's after a long day in the saddle! Your stories about desert life make me nostalgic for the desert and we haven't even left yet.

    Olivia, the Desert Bride!- we MISSED you guys, but naturally assumed that stars + bonfire + new husband trumped Pappy's with strangers;) Big congrats you two! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pappys looks right up my alley. Ribs, say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE PAPPYS!!

    I was gone for a while, and I see you have a show in LA tomorrow!! I need to find more info about this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay, but can you recommend a HIKE??

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: