Friday, May 21, 2010

Notes from the Bedside

{A Little Mid-Week Set-Back}

Usually strep throat is reserved for the kindergarten set. But every few years I'll pick it up and wham, it hits me like a stampede of elephants. Within a few hours I go from healthy to shivering to sweating through my clothes and unable to swallow or stand up. It's the pits. P. was working overnight when it hit and I was too weak to take myself to the doc, so I just holed up in bed with some asprin until he rushed home and took me to the ER on Wednesday morning. He's been taking *such* good care of me, and the ever-attuned doggies haven't left my side. I'm pretty blessed to be in such good company.



I've been agitated about getting behind in the studio but P. scolded me for being Type A and ordered me to just rest and recuperate, so I'm listening to the Mister because he's always right. I've caught up on a vast backlog of This American Life episodes (for those of you unfamiliar, the best old-school/new-school radio show on the planet), consumed a great deal of lemon-ginger-honey brew, and taken enough baths to raise some eyebrows at the Hi-Desert Water District.



And, in what could not have been better timing, I received two books in the mail from two separate, beloved bloggers -one just up the coast and the other clear across the Atlantic- which has been the silver lining to getting sick.  I'm halfway through A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg, the gal behind one of my absolute favorite food blogs, Orangette, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls, which by all accounts sounds like Little House on the Prairie for grownups. Thing could definitely be worse.

Hope you have a good weekend. I'll be dragging my sorry carcass to the studio as soon as I'm feeling sprier. And brainstorming a way to thank the huz for being the bomb.

16 comments:

  1. how have you liked "a homemade life"?
    heard a lot about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. feel better lily - and yes do take it easy! i've heard half-broke horses is good! p.s. drawings and collages from bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel better, Lily!!! I guess the one good thing about being sick is it forces us to do those things we love but never think we have time for. Well, that and being doted upon by husbands and pets! Sending healing hugs your way . . . xo g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, crap - I sent the email before I read your blog - please forgive and get better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, god. Strep is the worst. I almost never get sick, but I manage to come down with strep throat every couple years. And I want to die.

    Rest and feel better. Read and sleep and sip hot things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. never had strep throat...knock on wood! hope you recover soon! it's so nice to have someone who can take care of you, isn't it?

    LOVE this american life.

    WANT that book, A homemade life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awful stuff. I was in the ER too with a bad infection and for the last couple of days have been listening to podcasts (This American Life and Spendid Kitchen) while I make lists of things that need doing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. feel better soon. honey tea and lying in bed with dogs will get you better in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh man!! I'm right there with you! ... Been sick all week, but not strep throat, ouch!
    Lemon-Ginger-Honey tea is my staple this week as well... man oh man. Have you listened to Radio Lab? It's sort of like This American Life - it's another great radio/podcast show... if you need more listening material.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feel better Lily and can't wait till your better so I can hear about your BLUE BOTTLE COFFEE!!! I am making a homemade iced latte tomorrow with the recipe you posted about coffee and can't wait. Sending you a sweet hug and so happy you received your sweets yesterday!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. does your friend, Kate in Bali, have a blog? it would be fun to compare!

    thanks for the details on the book - sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  12. You get well soon now, yuh hear!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sorry about the strep, lily! i am the same way, it hits me SO HARD every couple of years (also, i had it NINE times in kindergarten). i hate feeling like i'm wasting time being sick. isn't molly's book wonderful?! i just loved it. and i read the glass castle and loved it also, so i'm putting half broke horses on my list immediately. keep taking it easy! the studio will be there. i hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the positive vibes! Feeling MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And about "A Homemade Life" - beautifully written, amusing, sometimes a little cute but never overly sentimental, and full of delicious passages about FOOD. Highly recommend to anyone who spends more than an hour a week stalking food blogs;)

    About to start "Half Broke Horses" and will report back. So far have heard nothing but great reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: