Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Leek, Asparagus and Corn Hash

{Served On Sourdough and Topped With An Egg}

One of the blessings of the Southern Californian climate is strawberries all year round. And spring corn. Where I grew up in central New Jersey we had to wait all summer for the corn to ripen (and I'll arm-wrestle anyone who doubts that NJ has the best sweet corn in the country), but this early crop on the West Coast is still pretty delicious. When my mom was visiting two weeks ago we bought an armful of fresh leeks and spindly desert asparagus at the Joshua Tree farmer's market, threw it in a saute pan with some fresh corn, and came up with my new favorite go-to meal: serve it on toasted sourdough and top with an egg for breakfast or over brown rice for dinner. Simple and delicious.



Leek, Asparagus and Corn Hash
Enough for four people for breakfast or two people for dinner + leftovers

Ingredients:
3 firm leeks
2 bunches asparagus
2 ears spring corn (or half a bag of frozen organic sweet corn)
butter or olive oil
salt n peppa

Directions:
Using only the white and pale green part of the leeks, halve the long way then chop into half-inch moons. Saute in hot pan in butter or olive oil over medium heat, stirring so that the leeks don't stick to pan. Chop asparagus into small segments, discarding woody ends, and add to pan. Cut corn off the cob and add to pan once asparagus is slightly soft and leeks are browning on edges. Add salt and pepper as you go. Corn does not need to be cooked, just heated. Once everything is nice and hot and slightly browned on edges serve on buttered sourdough with a poached or fried egg on top. Splash with a little Cholula hot sauce. Delish.

18 comments:

  1. The other day, I saw a bunch of asparagus at this place which sells 'English vegetables'(which is what we call zucchini, red pepper, leeks and stuff like that). I refrained from buying the asparagus only because I didn't know how to cook it. Then a few days later, I see this post. Great! Now next time veggie shopping, I know what I'll be picking up first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I am going to make that this week. I wish I was at home right now; I would make it for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh god. please. i need that immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, I totally thought of you guys and your veggie + egg + rice thing.

    Priya, delighted to know that you are about to encounter the springy bitter wonderfulness of asparagus for the first time. Another way, for dinner: chop off the bottom inch or so of the stems (too woody and bitter), then lay the trimmed shoots in a pan, toss with good olive oil, a drizzle of balsamic, a bit of lemon zest and a pinch of parm cheese. Roast for about six minutes or so, or until slightly withered. MMMMM.

    Stef and Rache- yes! Do it! And report back with feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! This is my kinda food! I'll make it for Todd when he's back from western MA tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration, fabulous Lily! xoxo g

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lily - thank you. Think I found your blog through Heart of Light:) Best wishes, Ida in Norway

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good heavens Lily ... this recipe looks divine and the pictures are gorgeous... so many colors. Sending you a hug!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. just found your blog and i'm in love with it! lovely photos & my-oh-my am i hungry now!!
    -- your newest follower

    www.wild-and-precious.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. delish! you sure are making it difficult to be vegan...i must come up with something to make this with a few tweaks...or not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is better with Cholula on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lily - This looks lovely and I'd like to back you up on your Central Jersey vegetable pride. I'm a NJ-to-CA transplant myself and miss the corn and tomatoes most of all. And pork roll sandwiches.

    Best,
    (another) Lily

    ReplyDelete
  12. How Sweet Was My Corn?

    Arm wrestling is ON. [You probably have southern Virginia corn beat, I will admit, cuz it's more robust than sweet, but have you tried Washington corn? Oh, lord! I snagged the best sweet corn of my life from a roadside farm stand along a rural highway in bumf*** western Washington after hiking all day in the crazy woods. Picked that day, cooked up back in the big ole' city, and SHAZAM. That was ten years ago, and I think about that corn still...]

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. How delicious does that look...I think I am going to make that this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous. i am totally making that come saturday marnin...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I made it! It's really good with corn like you've shown here, a squeeze of lime and an egg on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was absolutely delicious; we made it tonight with the fried egg on top and it was the perfect supper. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hooray! Thanks for taking the moment to tell me, Nancy! So glad you had a good dinner.

      Delete

Your turn: