Monday, April 12, 2010

What Was Eaten

{The Weekend, Mostly in Food}

Rustic rhubarb galette. Made for a second time to share with friends. I can't get enough of it.


Dutch baby. That's really what it's called. It's like a skillet-sized popover pancake. Served with toasted almond slivers, orange zest, and liqueur'd strawberries. Food coma ensued.


Kona coffee. Administered in a mug made by my friend Nora, who is an artist in every facet of her life. Potter, sculptor, painter, carpenter, gardener, cook. A regular desert fairy-godmother.


Native wildflowers. Propagated by Nora, admired by yours truly over breakfast.


Desert curry (read: Trader Joe's curry simmer sauce, leftover vegetables, cilantro and lime). Eaten while trespassing during an exploratory dinner picnic with P. and the mongrels.


It was supposed to be a quiet weekend spent working and cleaning the house. A little work happened. Not so much cleaning. And clearly there was lots of eating. But we did figure out where we're going to be living for the month of July (major life plans a-changing right now), and I am beside myself with excitement. Will post pictures soon, but for now just a few cryptic clues: It's *very* cozy, rather old, and you will positively die when you see the decorating.
Hope you had a restful weekend.

16 comments:

  1. i'm really excited to hear about secret july plan! and you've convinced me that i need to make that rhubarb tart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desert looks so beautiful.. I cannot believe I still haven't seen that part of the country! And your rhubarb galette looks delicious, I'm so into baking with rhubarb right now. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please teach us how to make a dutch baby?

    And also how to go on trespassing picnics? They sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juls and Oli, MAKE IT! It's so effing delicious I can't stand it. Next time I make it I'm just going to dump all the rhubarb into the tart instead of arranging it; the rhubarb shrinks when it bakes so the more rhubarb the better, as far as I'm concerned.

    Mouse, Nora makes a mean dutch baby using the Joy of Cooking recipe, but this one from last April's Gourmet sounds ridonk:

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dutch-Baby-with-Lemon-Sugar-352279

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, yum. You and I have similar palates, I think. I make Dutch babies whenever possible, and I make a rustic galette much like this one. It's got a little bit of cornmeal in the crust, and I throw whatever fruit is in season inside--peaches, apples, blueberries. It is so damn good I could almost weep. Oh, but rhubarb--be still my heart.

    Second, I can barely, just barely wait to hear about the changes and the July abode! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. glorious food!!! can't wait to see where you'll be in july...really, i can't wait!! do tell!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't believe how gorgeous the rhubarb looks in the crust! I admire your patience, as I usually just end up tossing it in every which way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked for rhubarb this weekend to no avail!!! This just made me want it even more! I checked out your other recipes and they all look so good I think I might have to try a recipe a week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One day there will be rhubarb in this land. So far there is none. But one day, there WILL BE.

    And you are going to live somewhere old! And probably magical! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so delicous must make the galette! can you whisper were you will be in july- i will not tell a soul

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum indeed...you make dessert living so romantic and delicious...and your scamp is super fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. desert...i think i was thinking about your dessert~

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many good things going here. But I'm swooning on that mug. Do such Fairy Godmothers sell their goods ever?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always worry that the term "Dutch baby" is a slur, somehow, but that doesn't stop me from making them whenever possible. With dark caramelized apples, so they're like Dutch Baby Meets Tarte Tatin. The perfect thing for wooing new beaus on Sunday mornings...

    xo,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there..new to your blog and incaptivated by it. Love the mug..does she have a website?

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: