Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Paint, Pixels

{New Approach to a Familiar Subject}

I've made dozens of homestead paintings by now, and so preparing a new batch for two upcoming shows has been a good exercise in reevaluating a familiar subject and approaching it in a fresh way. In this series I'm using the marks made by my brites (square-headed brushes) to create a pixelated but ultra-painterly surface. I like using an ancient medium to achieve a new media treatment. (Perhaps a reflection of being woefully old-fashioned but willingly participating in the digital world.)


The shows go up in less than two weeks. Naturally, I am not done and still painting up a storm. Because that's how we do it in the Stockman family. *Sigh*

10 comments:

  1. Have you noticed that camo fatigues are now pixelated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that second photo. Glimpses of your studio always leave me in awe. I have not one painterly bone in my body, but I'm obsessed with seeing other people that do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those chunky paint strokes! I would love to be feverishly painting away-sounds like a dream! (Although a stressful one, we Shoemaker's have the same last minute tendencies.....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for checking up on me. still wrestling with some things, and wishing life was just one giant french lesson. it'd be much sexier. hopefully, i'll be back within a month or so. maybe blogging will be cathartic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your paintings! i took a painting class a couple semesters ago and you make me want to pick it up again. :) thanks for being so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my dearest friends growing up picketed the release of the new Star Wars. Her sign: "Pixels are people too!"

    In other news, my decidedly troubling instinct to fly to Joshua Tree and rub my face in all those gorgeous paints persists. That particular pink in your gorgeous painting calls out for licking as ice cream to tongues. I would like a whole bucket of that paint to bathe in, imbibe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh oh oh i want to COME to this show.

    when/where?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha. my word verification was "upers" in case that helps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this! So unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I am always struggling with new ways to interpret my houses. The painting really looks great! It's so fun to play with the texture of the paint. On a side note - I am going to try out some of your app recipes for a rooftop party tomorrow night. can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: