Friday, April 30, 2010

On Nesting

{A Very Basic Reflection on Birds and Husbands}

Two nights ago I found a nest made of horsehair, cotton string, baling twine, and grass. There were two eggs in it. Last night I raced home from the studio before it was completely dark and checked again: *three* eggs. Six years ago I met my best friend on a plane to Mongolia. We were both rabble-rousing, man-hating, pony-racing blondes in an Eastern country that often felt like the Wild West. There was the drinking of black market whiskey and a ninja-like evasion from the Ulaanbaatar police when certain people broke into the Mormon tabernacle in the middle of the night to play the piano, but that's neither here nor there. This weekend, the Cowgirl Bride is coming to visit me and my beloved husband with her brand-shiny-new beloved husband, and although we won't be screaming like banshees as we gallop across the desert, we will, I'm sure, be drinking whiskey. This is all to say that one day, everything can change. Birds lay more eggs. Cowgirls get married. And it can be a really, really marvelous thing.


Pictures from the past two nights, from top to bottom: finch's nest, wild larkspur, an exploratory Biscuit, the most kick-ass wild succulent (canyon dudleya), a bouquet for P. because he's my favorite.

13 comments:

  1. fantabulous bouquet! your adventures boggle my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful and what a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, love, love the photo of the little birdy eggs! and love, love, love that you spent some serious girl time in mongolia. love, love, love that things change and we're all ok with it. love, love, love this post!

    p.s. the pattern for the hat i knitted came from a book called "one more skein" by leigh radford

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah. um. you can write a book please? but maybe wait a few decades, cause i am sure the adventures are just going to keep keep keep comin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely. I had whiskey and ginger this week and it reminded me that I haven't been doing enough whiskey drinking of late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just made me smile :) I have nothing else to say except that it simply made me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird. It just used my OLD google profile for my comment even though I'm signed in with my new one. Creepy. Well anyway, that MeganDean is actually me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for friends, whiskey, succulents, husbands and cute dogs. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow ... these photos are incredible Lily!!! Sending you a hug! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in love with YOU, you kick-ass lady.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: