Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hiking with Butter

{And A Spectacular View}

Last night in an unexpected turn of events P. and I found ourselves hiking up the side of a mountain in the company of a 160-pound she-mastiff named Butter. It was an invitation we couldn't refuse. 


We found a coulee of yellow wildflowers. We saw the Salton Sea. We came upon the only lupines I've ever seen in this part of the Mojave. And at 4,200 feet we read the inscription on a cross where a road paver lost his life: King of the Mt. Indeed.

By living Out in the Desert we sacrifice certain comforts, certain late-twenties rites that most of our friends our age are experiencing. And we miss them, those comforts and those friends. I have to admit that on occasion I miss Whole Foods. And sometimes I pine for a good movie theater, sushi and the Anthro sales rack. But man, was last night a heady reminder of how grateful I am to live here, of how the luxuries we lack are made up for tenfold by the riches of the landscape and how, quite possibly, this place transforms us into the better versions of ourselves.

16 comments:

  1. anthro sales rack=waaaaaay over rated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me want to get out of the city. Sigh. Maybe a vacation to the desert is what we need. I'm going to have to suggest that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm...such lovely thoughts, dear. And there are pluses and minuses to everywhere you live. The desert certainly has a lot of pluses. And you aren't too terribly far from Whole Foods, should you need to do a huge stock up every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a good way of putting it into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 'coulee' of yellow wildflowers. I'm going to remember that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I sit here eating fruit from Whole Foods, in a shirt from the Anthropology sale rack while thinking about having Sushi for dinner, I am STILL envious of you!! What a fabulous place to be. You're a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well said! i love discovering, finding and than reconfirming what i enjoy more..

    ReplyDelete
  8. _____________________.

    (There are no words.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently found your blog and enjoy it very much. I've been debating a desert trip this weekend. Now I feel we must make a day trip from San Diego this Sunday. Seems like you could coax people into bringing you care packages with all that beauty around. Heck, I'll bring you something from Whole Foods!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the simple things that bring the most JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I haven't had a chance yet to make the rhubarb galette-I am thinking of trying it this weekend! Your comment reminded me I had some overdue portrait projects to post-thanks for encouraging me to update!

    Also I love your words here-that nature transforms us into better versions of ourselves. Beautiful and so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. amen! giving up such "luxuries" truly does enrich our lives...the most precious things can't be bought...nor should they be (though some try to sell them). though ceej and i live in the city/suburb we avoid those "luxuries" usually. sometimes we endulge ourselves, but i'm always happier when we just sit down by the river. love this post, lily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you. And your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lily-

    You and Jesse were both struck by the beauty of the desert last week. Here's the result of his creative outburst (which he recorded on the computer himself)...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOSbh6fJ2c

    Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: