Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Awakening

{Rhubarb Galette with Crème Fraîche}

I hunted and I hunted and I found fresh rhubarb in the desert. And I cannot accurately express just how much joy that brings this tiny house, especially when baked in a crude loose-form tart shell on a Sunday afternoon.  The sour rhubarb is tempered with sugar and encompassed by flaky crust, and the results are heavenly. It is simple, rustic, and flirtatious; it is a lusty country girl of a dessert whose georgic charms one cannot resist. 


Rhubarb Galette with Crème Fraîche
from Bon Appétit, April 2010; for a printer-friendly version of this recipe click here

Ingredients for Crust:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons (or more) ice water

Ingredients for Topping:
1 pound trimmed rhubarb, cut into 2-inch-long 1/4-inch-thick matchstick-size strips
1/4 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg yolk, beaten to blend
1 8-ounce container crème fraîche

Directions for Crust:
Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons ice water; stir until dough clumps together, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled. Let dough soften 10 minutes at room temperature before rolling out.
 
Directions for Topping:
Combine rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar in medium bowl; let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Place large sheet of parchment on work surface; sprinkle parchment with flour. Roll out dough on parchment to 12-inch round. Transfer dough on parchment to large baking sheet. Starting in center of dough round, arrange rhubarb strips in concentric circles and slightly overlapping atop dough, leaving 1-inch plain border at edge. Gently fold dough border up over outer edge of rhubarb topping, folding and crimping dough to create decorative edge. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of sugar over rhubarb. Dot rhubarb with butter. Brush dough edges with beaten egg. Sprinkle edges with 1 tablespoon sugar.

Bake galette until rhubarb is tender and juices are bubbling, about 1 hour. Cool galette at least 30 minutes.

Mix crème fraîche and 2 tablespoons sugar in small bowl. Cut galette into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature with sweetened crème fraîche and a sprig of mint if you have some. Huzzah.

10 comments:

  1. i made a rhubarb bread last year but i have to say i didn't like the flavor. i think i probably have to try rhubarb in another form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh DROOL. Attempts to track down rhubarb around here have been futile thus far; I've harangued our CSA and was informed that our local farmers "lack the necessary patience" to grow it, which sort of clashes with my basic assumptions about farming in general...

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmmmm...my family is huge on rhubarb pie. Me, not so much. But I think I could get on board with the galette, because of the higher ratio of pastry dough to rhubarb filling. Pastry dough makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I have a soft spot in my heart for rhubarb-I think I will have to try this. Mind you I have soft spot in my heart for crust as well-which only reaffirms why I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Save me a piece and I am there!!! OH MY DEAR you have done it again ... combined two of my favorites rhubarb and creme fraiche dear dear Lily why are you so amazing!!?? XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have to make this this weekend. Yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. That's another thing I'll get you to make if you come my part of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word. THIS we be making. Fo' Sho'

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks so fabulous. i'm going to try it, but i'm skeptical of my ability to shape the crust that perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Missing you, thinking of our paths crossing, spontaneously asked Colin to pick up some rhubarb at the Coop. Je t'aime, cousine.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: