Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Dust, Stack, Neaten

{Preparing for A Full House}

Paintings are done, dry. The show hangs tomorrow. Now for cleaning and tidying the house in preparation for sisters, friends, guests. Which isn't that hard because, friends, it is a very tiny house.

Field guides must be neatly stacked in accessible places, for the quick looking up of hummingbirds. Succulents must be dusted, because in the desert even plants get dusty. Indoors.

 
Laundry removed from yellow wicker chairs. Yellow wicker chairs I saw at a thrift shop on the side of the desert highway. Yellow wicker chairs you just don't say no to.
  
Tangles of necklaces removed and put away. Simplicity rules, says my mummy. Mummy, who I hear in my head when the house gets messy. Mummy, who has a Shaker-like devotion to tidiness and heirloom tomatoes.
 

Kimonos, that came from desert friends who travel the world, hung on backdoor pegs. Kimonos that get worn during coffee-drinking with husbands on Saturday mornings outside in the spring sunshine.


The dusting and stacking of books. It is best to stack horizontally if one does not have sufficient bookends. Otherwise one will be woken by crashing books in the middle of the night, which one might confuse with zombies breaking into the house. (Also, one should not watch zombie movies when living in the rural desert when one's husband is away on business for extended periods of time.)

16 comments:

  1. i want a kimono or a silk robe! someday... these little corners of your home are looking pretty neat, so you're on your way with all that tidying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your home is so sweet! I love these little glimpses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this post. i like getting ready for house guest-the house gets neater, you look at the things you have and admire the things you did not let slip away!( i love the chairs and your book selection

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Enjoy the opening!! (and I loove your yellow wicker chair!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to wear a silk kimono and have coffee in the sunshine - that sounds looovely right now! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! to the yellow chairs! (Good call.) Have a great one this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How on earth do you dust succulents Lily? I'd love to know. I'm bad. I hold them under a tap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you mind horribly if I just invited myself over sometime? I adore your house. Almost as much as I adore you. I'd even dust the succulents and watch zombie movies with you. xo g

    ps My verification word is "flesho"--as in flesho-eating zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post! The yellow chair- what a treasure find! With you on the stacking of books. Enjoy the visitors! oh and the zombie note was very very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read a book, while wearing the kimono near the yellow chair, and then maybe - watch a zombie movie. Thanks for the treat of a peak inside your home!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lily,

    Your photos are wonderful, as always. House looks clean to me. Can't wait to see your show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations and good luck with your show! I still have a month to go for mine, so my laundry is forming mountains of awe inspiring height, and the house has a coat of white dust...well, my family can't complain, I still cook and feed them! Lovely work , by the way..!
    Annamaria :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been looking for a new kimono.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love these photos. I love that you stack laundry on your chairs,,, as do I, and Omnivore's Dilemma great book!! Lily you are a doll, you know that!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. hope the hanging went well lily honey! i wish i could see the show--reading backwards and i LOVE LOVE LOVE this series---i so want to talk to you about goats and rams and horned animals, my love affair with them too! and your book stack looks just like mine--i think we are soul sisters but i promise not to stalk you in a swf kind of way. word.
    GOOD LUCK HONEY!!!!
    love, deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah! I love the corners of your house. And your kimono (I so want one for warm days). And oh the chair! Definitely yes to that chair. xx

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: