Monday, February 15, 2010

Treats

{Presidents Day and a Surprise from Blogland}

Happy Presidents Day.
Which is a perfect excuse to introduce you to Maira Kalman's illustrated blog for the New York Times, called And the Pursuit of Happiness, for those uninitiated. Kalman's illustrated musings on Abe Lincoln and George Washington are excellent, delightful, and appropriate for today. But my FAVORITE piece of hers might be on Thomas Jefferson, that brilliant, bee-keeping, morally-conflicted, iconoclastic patriot and writer of the Declaration of Independence. Monticello is my favorite President's House. And Maira Kalman is my favorite Illustrator. Period.


You know what else is my favorite? Doing a Valentine blog swap organized by my favorite milkmaid and receiving a Small Mysterious Package as a result. From the ever-inspiring Rachel, who is the Maira Kalman of the Domicile, and who is incredibly thoughtful:

 
Inside the Small Mysterious Package was a beautiful handmade card. With hearts made from gilt-print Italian paper. And a bag of velvet grey sea salt, to compliment these cookies. So fancy.
 

And Fran's Salted Caramels, which I would show if there were any left to show. You see, my mother was visiting, and she too loves chocolate with salt, especially at *breakfast.* And so the morning my mother left we had tea, strawberries, Greek yogurt, and Fran's Salted Caramels for, yes, breakfast. I think Maira Kalman would appreciate the eating of salted caramels at breakfast with one's mother. I'm not sure if Jefferson would approve of such self-indulgence, but he would approve of the corn fritters with honey I have in mind to make when P. comes home next week.

I hope you are having a most excellent Presidents Day, and really, do read Kalman's post on Jefferson. It's that wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. Oh so much fun!!! Hope you had a lovely day sweet Lily! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. Hearts on strings were a theme it seems. I got some too:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am catching up on your beauty and musings tonight. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with the header!

    Your small, mysterious package is glorious! Oh, and I love the Jefferson piece by Kalman. I love her work, too. I especially like Jefferson's words to his daughter: "It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." Ain't it the truth. xo G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad you got it! I wanted to get you some pink sea salt, which seemed so appropriate after your earlier post and because the color would go perfectly with the holiday. Alas, Whole Foods let me down.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: