Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Ace, With Dogs

{A Ya-Ya Weekend at the Ace Hotel}

If husbands are away or boyfriends are No Longer In The Picture there are two ways to address Valenthymes: sulk and eat Ben + Jerry's whilst watching Love Actually -or-  squeeze your winterflesh into a bikini and head to the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs. Which is what I did with some ya-yas on Saturday. The Ace being the Ace, dogs are allowed, so Dolly and the Biscuit came along.


The Ace encourages best friends to jump on beds with dogs.


And it encourages the use turntables so thoughtfully installed in the bedrooms.

 
We listened gleefully. To Cat Stevens. And the Cars. (My mom LOVES the Cars.) We ate modestly, pinching hard-earned pennies.



At night the lovers and the lovelorn found quiet places to talk. Us girls, we hot-tubbed, which seems to be a common theme on ya-ya adventures. You know, the Ace used to be a Ho-Jo. That's part of its charm.


The desert being the desert, the weather was precociously warm for February. So the next morning we all went to the pool. The Ace being the Ace, they ran out of breakfast. So we considered hijacking the love bus.


Finally we got something to eat. Finally it was time to pack up. Finally it was time to head back up the mountain to Joshua Tree, back to the studio, back to work.
 

But my, was it a treat to spend a night with friends. With dogs.

16 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! and what a cool hotel!!! Dogs jumping on beds, wild times. Sounds like a dandy Valentines weekend indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow can't believe they allow dogs. score! palm trees and pools look mighty nice to me right now as the snow falls here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And your many lives?! Not so bad! Hmmm does that mean I get to bring my cats with me to the ACE? Not that they would jump on beds, rather they would perch REGALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm...we've been meaning to make a trip to the Ace. Palm Springs is one of my favorite relaxation spots. I guess I'm secretly 80 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. I need a dose of the Ace right now. Cat Stevens on the turntable--perfect! Glad you had this getaway.

    xo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds so fabulous right now. i never thought i'd say this, but i'm actually getting sick of snow. horray for hotels that allow dogs and have turntables in each room...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much fun!!! I love Cat Stevens... by far my favorite!! Love these photos! xo Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that sounds like one of the best way to spend v day. hands down. and i love that i now know about ACE hotel - thanks for the informing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i WISH i could round up my lovelies and take them to the ACE. It is my most favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are too many things to be jealous of in this post!!! Where do you find such fabulous hotels?! The pool, the charm, and to have your doggies with you. It looked like such a great time. So glad your weekend was full of fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to visit an Ace Hotel, and i think going with girlfriends would absolutely take the cake! What a fabulous way to spend a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, the ACE! so glad you introduced me. this seems like the kind of getaway that really lifts your heart. so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMFG, they have turntables in the rooms??? THANK YOU for introducing me to this place. Thank you so much!

    Ace Hotel, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Ace, despite their faults and foibles. What a great time to visit! When we took Bella there it was so f***ing hot that the pads of her feet were burned by the concrete and the pool was HOT during the 110 degree day.

    You and I should head down to the INSANE WORLD that is Desert Hot Springs Spa. GT and I went last week and, oh boy, what a cross section of humanity. For $3! Let's doooo eeeet!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to visit Ace!! I'd love to bring my dog Lia but quarantine might be a problem! Sounds like you had a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: