Thursday, January 7, 2010

Toy Camera

{iPhone App for Low-Fi Lovers}

P. helped usher me into the new decade with the gift of an iPhone for Christmas, which is a magical, magical machine. Because the camera is awesome. I downloaded a $1.99 application called Toy Camera and am kind of obsessed with the Holga-like quality of the shots.  I *highly* recommend it for anyone with an iPhone whot likes to take pictures. A few recents from my hood:










There are several image modes available in Toy Camera; these were all taken in "vintage warm" with vignetting on in most cases. 

P.S. that last shot, with the asphalt shingles and the rusted-shut 1950's jalousie window? That's an abandoned homestead cabin up the road from us that's our secret dream house. Seriously. It's built next to an amazing rock formation, is surrounded by Joshua trees, gets perfect desert light, and has a view of the entire mountain valley. It's our little fixer-upper fantasy. I just might have to show you some more pictures. Impractical New Year's Resolution no. 2: learn how to deshingle a house.

15 comments:

  1. It's amazing how good the iphone camera is. I know my boyfriend uses a setting called "Helga" on his iphone to take holga-like photos. so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great!!! I want an iphone just for the purpose of taking photos. Hope all is great Lily and your week is lovely!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get it!

    Thanks for the application info. iPhone to Holga is pretty effing rad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh. i need that. Try Camera Bag too. It has a bunch of different effects. Totally worth the $4.99.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes lily i get it! i was just in the apple store the other day meeting a genius and thinking.....i should get an iphone too. but i am inclined to easily lose things that are not bigger than my head or stapled to me. i'm waiting for an iphone implant procedure to be FDA approved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Mine arrives this weekend! It's so nice to see someone write something nice about it, instead of all the 'iphone users are twats' articles floating about the UK press. Boo to them.

    Can't wait to go application hunting. This one looks fab.

    And yes please to more about the fantasy fixer-upper house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely have me hankering for a phone upgrade. Especially since I've really never learned how to use my blackberry.

    Does it get good coverage in the desert, tho?

    Regardless - brilliant shots.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this! I've been using ShakeItPhoto but don't really like the border. This is much better. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I really have GOT to get an iPhone. I want that ap. These are wonderful pictures. And, oh, how I loved hearing about your dream home. It sounds perfect. Please do give us more pictures of it. Please??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I have an run-down house just down MY street that I covet and covet. I'll go take pictures if you promise the same.
    Fair warning, mine will be deficient in rock formations. And, you know, cacti and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. why do i all of a sudden NEED an iphone?! these shots are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh! Lovely. I second the camera bag app.

    Isn't the iPhone truly great?

    We have a poli from our wedding of that sign in our bedroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Except that not all of us have DESERTS to use our holga apps upon. Hum hum. Maybe I could get some cowboy boots. And stand next to my succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are inCREDible. They look like the real thing but better.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: