Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's Easy To Do Something

{How We Can Help in Haiti}

I know many of us escape to blogland for wit and whimsy, but perhaps you'll allow me this post to appeal to your inner humanitarian:

Text “HAITI” to "90999" to make a $10 donation 
to American Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti. 

I just did it. You'll receive a text back asking you to confirm the donation. That's only $10 added to your cell phone bill and god only knows how it might help the 3 million people affected by the massive earthquake that's leveled a country already plagued with unimaginable poverty.



My sister Phoebe recently spent three months working at the Hôpital Albert Schweitzer (HAS), located forty miles northwest of Port-Au-Prince. With the exception of a few international volunteer doctors the entire hospital is run by Haitians who help educate and train people in the surrounding Artibonite Valley. It's more than a hospital; it's a self-sustainable community. HAS is the second-largest employer in a country with an 80% unemployment rate, and one of the most inspiring success stories in the public health sector.  Miraculously, HAS did not suffer structural damage in the quake. So with hospitals in Port-Au-Prince in ruins, the rural HAS has become a satellite triage center for the wounded. My sister said people are literally walking and carrying their wounded the forty miles from Port-au-Prince to HAS. You can keep up with their incredible updates in real time on the hospital's blog and help by giving here.

The New York Times has a helpful page with more resources for what we can do to help. Hope you have a good day and if the spirit moves you, do send that text.  Thanks + love, Lily.

10 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this. i've been writing about it for the last two days at work, all the while freaking out because my friend was working there and i couldn't get in touch with her. turns out she's fine, and i'm really thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lil for posting about Haiti. I am so deeply saddened and concerned about the earthquake victims and people coming into HAS for treatment. I know the truly amazing Haitian and intl staff at HAS are working heroically and people can support affected people by donating here too: http://www.hashaiti.org/. Immediate funds to HAS are so crucial at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome of you for posting this. Every penny helps and they definitely need it right now in Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed you through Lovely Clusters' blog. Your comment touched me, as I'm also very saddened by what happened in Haiti, and I had to check out your blog. Thank you so much for posting something about the Haiti relief effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lily, so glad to have found you tonight! i sent a text this morning, too. just one tiny gesture, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be texting in!!! Thanks Lily for posting this!! Sending you a blog hug!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for this post! i've been wanting to find out more info on how to help!

    ..........
    love + luck + bliss,
    missysue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting this!!! It's amazing what we can do as bloggers to spread the word and encourage people to donate! I wish I was a nurse so I could go help!! xo chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy I found your blog. To think that these poor people who have already suffered so much are walking 40 miles to get medical care is just horrifying. That would never happen here. I've been a little sad not to see more out there on blogs about how to help, and am so inspired by those who are donating a portion of sales from their etsy shops, or donating $$ for every comment. We can all do more, you are so right.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: