Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Raspberry Coffee Cake from Heaven

{Make This and Make Friends}

My friend Nora, about whom I've written before, is a regular dessert chef extraordinaire and one of my main inspirations in the kitchen. When she gave me a slice of this dessert-for-breakfast a few weeks ago I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It's really that good. This coffee cake is incredibly dense and moist thanks to the cream cheese, and the bright bursts of raspberries are like edible exclamation points. This is Nora's version of what's been one of the top five recipes at Cooking Light for the past ten years. She uses real ingredients instead of the "lite" stuff, and whatever berries are in season at the Joshua Tree Farmer's market. It's simple to make and my god, is it delicious.
 

Nora's Raspberry Coffee Cake from Heaven
I highly recommend doubling the recipe and making two cakes

1/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese (half a standard 8 oz. container of the whipped stuff)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups frozen raspberries (helps keep their shape when mixing into thick batter)
2 tablespoons sugar for topping

Beat butter and cream cheese with electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat well.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into butter mixture. Stir in vanilla; fold in frozen berries.

Pour batter into greased 9-inch round cake pan. Spinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over batter.

Bake at 350 for just under an hour; cool on wire rack. Serve with coffee; assume you're in heaven.


10 comments:

  1. What a nice easy recipe. Probably the easiest coffee cake recipe I've seen around. All the ingredients are always readily available in any kitchen (except for the raspberries which we don't get here). Strawberry season is just starting and I'm sure I could sub other fruit as well.

    ...bright bursts of raspberries are like edible exclamation points - this is why I love reading your blog, not to mention that limerick in the previous post etc.etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction, it should be 'this is one of the many many reasons i love reading your blog'. One never knows what next from bigBANG studios, whether coffee cake or cake mountain...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the best pictures.... I love the cake and the contrast of that oh so cute tea cup. That cake looks like it's from heaven and I will have to try it. I hope you are having a lovely week Lily!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know it is my THIRD comment here, but I just had to tell you that I made this cake. It is fabulous! I used chocolate chips instead of berries since I had them on had and yeah, I really should have doubled the recipe...
    Burp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wishing i hadn't already eaten breakfast...perhaps i will eat this for lunch, or would it be completely inappropriate for dinner tonight? mmmmmm. can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, yum. OH yum.

    In case I don't make it back by here tomorrow. And, hey, I won't since today is Christmas Eve. I just wanted to wish you and yours a very merry, very happy Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe is delicious! Thanks for sharing it! I am eating the first slice of warm cake right now mmm. I am a new reader to your blog-- vicariously enjoying the artist's life in the desert. Your photographs are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i blogged this recipe because the world really needed to know about it. holy raspberries, batman!

    http://herthreebirds.blogspot.com/2011/02/magically-delicious.html

    hope you don't mind. :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. My neighbors and I enjoyed the coffee cake for breakfast this morning. Thanks Lil.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: