Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Snowshoeing is for Maidens

{A Ya-Ya Weekend in Breckenridge}

I'm back after a weekend in Colorado where I celebrated my favorite pickler's impending mawwiage with snowshoeing and hottubbing. For most people the epithet "bachelorette party" evokes acid flashbacks of Hungarian male strippers and one too many tequila shots, the likes of which this weekend most certainly was not. So let's just call it a ya-ya weekend. (Which it most certainly was.)
 

There was the radiant Cowgirl Bride, awash in alpenglow as she sipped contraband whilst wearing The Marvelous Ring. Her Intended had the ring made in Egypt, sewed it into his pocket as they painted a house in Holland, and slipped it onto the Cowgirl Bride's finger as they picnicked in Paris.

 

There was a jackalope with Coralinean button eyes.

 

There was a very old clapboard house with icicles.

 

There were woods, lovely, dark and deep. And promises to keep.

 

There was a snowshoeing adventure. With goat brie, rosemary crackers, snausage, and Bailey's.

  

There was even yak jerky. Yes, from yaks, which are among my favorite even-toed ungulates.  The Cowgirl Bride and I met in Mongolia, and we enjoy the unusual pleasure of having bonded over yak-related activities. (See yak, milking of; wrangling of; nuzzling with). A friendship borne of yak-riding is surely a friendship for life. Although I was delighted to try some American-raised yak jerky, I must admit I was slightly dismayed that this yak-related activity involved yak, eating of

I hope yours was a good weekend. Perhaps it involved a bottle of Bailey's, too. I am still rosy-cheeked, windblown, and miss the Cowgirl Bride and the snowshoeing maidens most intensely.

12 comments:

  1. Incredible. And ya-ya weekend it was...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what a weekend!! Snowshoeing, goat brie and rosemary crackers... goodness!! It sounds like your trip was wonderful and love this post!! Your writing is wonderful!! Hope all is well!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate snow but I'm almost jealous of you. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and the Cowgirl Bride know how to live! Could I love this post any more? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks like an amazing weekend. you know what? I think i'll just enjoy a bit of Baileys after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It'll be a weekend I remember forever - I have the world's best ya-yas...

    ReplyDelete
  7. one lucky cowgirl!! WE love snowshoeing and the whole idea that we can do it from our back door is having us wish for snow everyday!! we like brekenridge! wait till i show these pics to my husband he will have on a plane in two seconds float!!

    LOVE THIS POST!

    and how incredible is the contrast from your home to co!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i heart ashley. and pickles. and her wedding ring that is AMAZING! and all things yaya and celebratory! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, there were a whole slew of posts here that I needed catching up on! You are a blogging fool. Thanks for the mention, and for reading my drivel. kiss kiss, you busy goyl. (and I mean that in the NON-Notre Dame sense.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fantastic ya-ya weekend! love all the photos you took. makes me ache for snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lala I loved this post! Cool flicks and story and I can't believe ASH is getting hitched! That's so exciting and what a cool story behind the ring. It looks like the b. party was definitely your style:) Hope you had fun! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just downloaded iStripper, and now I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: