Monday, November 23, 2009

Outrageously Delicious, Exceptionally Easy

{Ginger and Roasted Carrot Soup}

Happy almost-Thanksgiving! Please forgive me for being such a negligent blogger last week while I was on the road; posting from my Blackberry is simply beyond my blogging skill set. I'm hoping to make it up to you with this soup, which has quickly become our autumn staple because it is soo delicious and so easy to make. I roast the carrots and an apple, which gives the soup a deeper flavor, and saute a sweet onion and a diced tuber of ginger, throw it all in the food processor, add chicken stock, a bit of orange juice, a dash of curry and a tiding of cream. Heaven. I'm telling you, if you need a soup to keep everyone happy and warm this week give it a shot and I promise you'll be quite pleased with yourself. Cheers!




GINGER and ROASTED CARROT SOUP:

In roasting dish: Mix a little olive oil and salt and pepper over a jumbo bag of baby carrots plus one peeled and chopped MacIntosh apple. Roast on the middle rack for 1 hour at 400 degrees, tossing once if you remember.

In large stock pot, saute in olive oil until acids have cooked off:
1 good-sized sweet onion, diced (Maui, Vidalia, or Walla Walla)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced

In food processor, blend contents of stock pot plus apple and carrots until even consistency is achieved (depending on the size of your food processor you may have to do this in a few batches), then pour back into stock pot. The texture of this soup is wonderful, so don't over-process into mush.

On medium heat, add 2 32 oz. cartons of good chicken stock (if you make your own, awesome. I use Wolfgang Puck's free-range hormone-free chicken stock because it tastes like your mom made it and doesn't have all those nasty preservatives or that metallic taste.) Throw a few sprigs of thyme in there and a confident dash of good curry powder. Stir occasionally, letting soup thicken and the flavors ripen. Add a splash of orange juice if your carrots aren't sweet enough. Just before serving, add a cup or two of cream if you like (I like).

Serve hot. For an A+ presentation: in each bowl add a wee swirl of cream or sour cream or Greek yogurt, a crack of black pepper, and a leaf or sprig of whatever live herb you have on hand. Crusty rustic bread is a must. Enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. cherie,
    i have a bad bad cold. i miss you TOO. i love how we are leaving each other notes via our blogs now. so amAYzing. i am hosting orphan turkey day chez moi but i'm sad to miss your extravaganza cette weekend. let's talk today/tomorrow and catch up please. oh, also. i'm making this soup for SHEEZE this week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOUNDS amazing and looks amazing!! I just made Irish Beef Stew for the second time and my tummy is so content. I will have to try this oh so delicious recipe... perfect for the chilly November air!!! Hope you have a wonderful Monday!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks/sounds delicious Lilly. I will definitely try it. Have done carrot soup before but never roasted. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PLEASE MAKE THIS FOR ME WHEN I COME BACK TO THE STATES. MY MOUTH IS WATERING AND I WANT TO EAT THIS NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This smells like perfection. I say "smells" because I can actually smell it as I read the recipe. I'm making it very, very soon. Plus, your bowl is adorable. You always make me happy when I visit here. Why do we live so far apart? I want to invite myself over for soup and a chat! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can smell it too. Mmmmmmmm. Am sticking this one in my back pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this for supper! Mmmm. It was so tasty and warmed us through and through. I want to make it again in the fall with carrots and apples and onions from our own garden. I made one slight change: I puréed some seedy wheat bread into the soup at the end. Bread makes blended soup EXTRA creamy and rich. The fennel and other seeds in the bread added a great texture and taste. I also loaded the top of the soup with garnishes- shredded purple cabbage, avocado, etc. because I love fresh, crunchy, raw garnishes for adding texture to creamy soups.

    Thanks for the wonderful recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: